Thursday, December 18, 2014

Touch...A Powerful Tool Of God's Healing


Daniel 10:7-10 - I, Daniel, was the only one who saw the vision; the men with me did not see it, but such terror overwhelmed them that they fled and hid themselves.  So I was left alone, gazing at this great vision; I had no strength left, my face turned deathly pale and I was helpless.  Then I heard him speaking, and as I listened to him, I fell into a deep sleep, my face to the ground.  A hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees.

 

Daniel had another vision about the future.  In it he saw tribulations so great his sprit could not handle it. It put Daniel’s mind in a state of great mourning….and he fasted meat…. wine… dessert…. washing… shaving or combing of his hair for 3 weeks. He found himself next to the Tigris river one day….looking up to behold a man in bright linen garments….his face sending our flashes of blinding lightening. The men that Daniel had with men ran in fear….even though they could see and hear nothing that Daniel saw.  And Daniel fell to his knees…so weak and pale that he lost all his strength.

 

It was the touch of this angel that brought Daniel back to a standing position.  And as he stood before this heavenly creature he listened to him tell him how he had been delayed by the evil one from delivering God’s message of hope and comfort.  His touch brought back the strength that Daniel needed to continue to listen to the prophecy God was revealing about the future.

 

My heart hung on the words that revealed how the angel’s touch gave Daniel the strength to stand…then allowed him to listen and gain enough strength to continue in his vision.  Moses was saved when a young princess held him by a river.  God touched Jesus with the wings of a dove to show his pride in his baptism. Thomas believed in the risen Christ when Jesus allowed him to touch the scars of his hands.

 

Touch…what we all want and crave from others.  It gives us comfort when we are sad.  It gives us joy when we are separated.   I have felt the comfort of touch many times through the years from another human…how much more amazing and powerful it must be to come from a heavenly being.  It makes me realize that all I ever needed was a touch from the father to get through anything he needs me to go through.

 

Father...thank you for the reminder that a touch from you is all I ever need…but I thank you so very much for the many humans that you have allowed touch to give me strength.  Forgive me for the times that I am so wrapped up in me that I failed to feel your touch.  Help me to focus on you so intensely that I am never without the realization of your presence and touch on my life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment