Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Be A Barnabus


Acts 9:26-28  - Upon arrival in Jerusalem he tried to meet with the believers, but they were all afraid of him. They thought he was faking!  Then Barnabas brought him to the apostles and told them how Paul had seen the Lord on the way to Damascus, what the Lord had said to him, and all about his powerful preaching in the name of Jesus.  Then they accepted him, and after that he was constantly with the believers.

 

Paul…the most passionate destroyer of the Christian’s in the early church…had been converted. And as he returned to Jerusalem…he was met with disbelief and fear. No one believed that a man so bent on destroying the church could be actively trying to increase it now.  They thought it was fake….most likely to try and get closer to the ones that organized it now.   But one believer named Barnabus took Paul to the Apostles and testified of all that had happened to him on the road to Damascus…and how he had become as passionate a preacher as he had a jailer of Christians.

 

We all need that one person to believe in us no matter what. We need a person not afraid to hold our hand through anything…to believe the craziest of our stories…never doubting…always ready to support and speak out for us when we are wronged. We all need a Barnabus in our lives. We all need the support of a human friend or companion.  Having a friend like Barnabus makes everything easier. 

 

I am so very thankful that God has sent several Barnabus’ to support my life.  They have been there for me when I wanted to give up…enter a permanent pity party that would have destroyed what was left of the life God grants me. But here’s the thought I had when reading this morning.  Am I a Barnabus for others?  I get so wrapped up in my own needs…I sometimes forget that I was called to more than my own agenda.  I am quick to pray for God to send me a Barnabus…but am I as willing to be that Barnabus for others?

 

Father….thank you for the reminder once again…that Life is not all about me.  Forgive me for the times that I have relaxed in the support of all the people you have sent to help me….and not returned the support to others that you needed me too. Help me today to listen more closely…watch more intently…and learn to be a Barnabus for others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment