Tuesday, June 23, 2015

God Really Does Use All Things For Good


Acts 8:3-8 -  Paul was like a wild man, going everywhere to devastate the believers, even entering private homes and dragging out men and women alike and jailing them. But the believers who had fled Jerusalem went everywhere preaching the Good News about Jesus!  Philip, for instance, went to the city of Samaria and told the people there about Christ. Crowds listened intently to what he had to say because of the miracles he did. Many evil spirits were cast out, screaming as they left their victims, and many who were paralyzed or lame were healed,  so there was much joy in that city!

 

Stephen had been stoned for preaching….and Paul was capitalizing on his stoning by dragging family after family that professed Christ out of their homes and jailing them. Some were released after a time…others were beaten severely…and others died for their belief. The threat of jail or worse was too much for some and they fled to the surrounding areas to escape the dangers…but they never stopped preaching the gospel that made them run.

 

It is an amazing reminder that God uses all seemingly bad situations to His good and glory. Stephen’s death…brutal and horrible as may have been…expanded the early church beyond what could have happened if all those believers had stayed in one place. God used Stephen’s willingness to die for His Lord to spread the gospel…even through believers that were so scared they dared not stay where persecution was taking place.

 

What an amazing promise and truth of God that He can use me even when I am scared and going through tough times.  I just have to remember that when fear enters my heart…to speak God’s word over it…so He can use me despite my fear and weakness. I have read the rest of the story…and can’t help but think of how God is going to turn even the one who did most of the persecution around.  For Paul….Saul’s new name in Christ… wrote in 2 Corinthians 12:10… That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that the things that look the darkest to me...may be used by you to bring about good. Forgive me for the times that I see only bad in the dark moments. As the old hymn says…. Open my eyes so I may see glimpse of truth thou has for me… Open my eyes…illumine me   ….Spirit Divine. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment