Thursday, June 18, 2015

Don't Judge...Just Glorify God


Acts 3:2-6 -  And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;   Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.    And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us.    And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.    Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none;  but such as I have give I thee:  In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.  

 

Peter and John had gone to the Temple for the afternoon prayer time.  They encountered a man lame from birth who laid by the most used gate of the Temple to beg each day. He asked them for what he asked everyone else that entered that gate…an alm…his only means of support in life.

 

Little did he know that his life was about to be changed forever by the two disciples that saw it as an opportunity to glorify God. He asked for the smallest thing…but got a complete healing …the ability to walk where no ability had ever been before. Peter and John took that moment to ask in Jesus’ name for a mighty miracle….giving the man way more than a simple piece of money to support him.

 

It sure expands my thoughts about the many beggars I see from time to time.  I can remember the signs they held…. need a ride….haven’t eaten for a week….need gas to get back home….stranded with my family and need diapers. Sure I stopped when I felt led and did what I could…I have also passed by many that I let my heart think was bogus….but I have never been so bold as Peter and John…asking in Jesus name for Him to provide what they needed.  I simply shoved the thing I bought….or the money I got out of my purse…or followed them to the gas station to fill up their tank…then left them with a simple blessing.

 

I needed the reminder that it is not my place to judge or wonder who really needs what they are asking for.  It is my responsibility to bring them as much of God’s love as I can…not stopping with the obvious giving of what they asked for. God has so much more than I have ever imagined….I limit Him so many times because I don’t think more like Jesus….I don’t see the fullness of what God can do when we ask in Jesus name.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you are capable of anything.  Forgive me for the times that I have limited what I receive from you…and give less than I could to others.  Help me to stay so in touch with the presence of the Holy Spirit that I remember to pray in your name for what I and others need from you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment