Thursday, June 18, 2015

Loving God Is A Priviledge


Acts 5:38-42 - And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone:  for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:   But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it;  lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.    And to him they agreed:  and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.  And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.    And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.  

 

Peter and John had been arrested again ….for continuing to preach the gospel of Christ. An angel unlocked their doors that night and told them to go to the public square and preach some more. Large crowds gathered to hear them…or to beg them for healing.  The power of the Holy Spirit was so strong in Peter that some who just passed through his shadow were healed. God revealed to the frightened captain where they were when it was time for them to appear before the council…with the intention of having them killed. But God gave one of the Pharisees the courage to speak these wise words that Luke recorded ….to leave them alone and let time tell if they were truly of God.

 

The two were beaten and released…counting it a privilege to be persecuted for Christ’s sake. Then continued to preach and teach and heal…in spite of the strict warning from the religious leaders to stop.  They never backed down….they used every opportunity to teach something about God’s love. Every day they woke and used the power of the Holy Spirit to keep them strong…courageous…connected completely to God and His purpose for their lives.

 

What a great reminder to wake every morning and thank God for the privilege of loving Him. It is an honor to have been chosen to experience His love…I should count every opportunity to show His love to others that I can. His love was not meant to keep me protected in bubble wrap ….keeping me from ever experiencing adversity.  His love was meant for me to learn to walk through that adversity holding His hand…so others can see what it can do to give them life.

 

I am guilty of making it more about me that Him most days.  I wake and thank Him for another day…but I sure don’t thank Him for the possible bad that will happen that day.  I am learning to give thanks for the past trials and sufferings that He has allowed in my life. It is a very hard thing to do…but it releases a new kind of love and respect for who God is when you do it. It is one thing to thank God for the things that I perceive to be wonderful…the blessings that are obvious.  It is entirely another thing to thank God for the things we perceive to be bad. As Laura Story’s great song asks…What if your blessings come in teardrops? I have found that those teardrops open your heart to a whole new level of understanding of God’s mercy.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that it is a privilege to love you. Forgive me for all the times that I have let my selfishness keep me from thanking you for what I perceive to be a bad thing. Help me to thank you in all things… so you can deepen my love for you and help power me like you did Peter and John to do your work. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment