Sunday, June 14, 2015

You Can Be Replaced


Acts 1:23-26 -  The assembly nominated two men: Joseph Justus (also called Barsabbas) and Matthias.  Then they all prayed for the right man to be chosen. “O Lord,” they said, “you know every heart; show us which of these men you have chosen as an apostle to replace Judas the traitor, who has gone on to his proper place.”  Then they drew straws, and in this manner Matthias was chosen and became an apostle with the other eleven.

 

Jesus had disappeared into the clouds and left the disciples with the promise of the Holy Spirit to take His place till He returned. So they left the Mount of Olives where they watched Him rise into the clouds ….returned the short way back to Jerusalem…and gathered in the upstairs room where they were staying to pray. They stayed there for many days…praying….waiting for the promise …and letting God help them know what to do in the meantime.

 

One of the things He revealed to them was the need to replace Judas…the one who had betrayed Jesus.  They nominated two men that God laid on their hearts….then drew straws to let God let them know which one would be best.  Then Peter began to speak to them about the importance of all that had happened while they had been with Jesus.

 

I am reminded by this time in the disciple’s lives that when I choose not to do what God has asked me to do…I will be replaced with someone that is willing and ready to follow Him anywhere and everywhere. Judas chose self over God…and even though God used it as part of His plan …(remember God knew what Judas was going to do)….it could not go unjudged.

 

I also find comfort in the promise of the Holy Spirit. It empowers all believers to have extra strength…courage…confidence….boldness….insight…..ability…and authority on Earth to do what God leads us to do.  We don’t have to wonder about what God is thinking…we can use the Holy Spirit to know…that we know…that we know what He is telling us He wants us to do.  I don’t have to depend upon my own strength and will…I have access to the Holy Spirit’s power to help me accomplish all things through Christ.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that your love includes a 24/7 hotline to the Holy Spirit. Forgive me for the times that I have chosen self over Your will….and you have replaced me with someone more willing to do your desire.  Help me to always remember that my ways will never accomplish your full will...so I will call on you to give me strength and courage to follow you no matter what.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment