Friday, June 5, 2015

Jesus Feels Every Hurtful Thought...And Loves Us Anyway


John 13:12-17 -    So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?   Ye call me Master and Lord:  and ye say well;  for so I am.    If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet;  ye also ought to wash one another's feet.    For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.    Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord;  neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.   If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them. 

 

John took the time to record a moment in the life of the disciples that none of them were expecting. It should have been a servant…a hired slave…the lowest level of culture that was known to the Jews…not the mighty Messiah they were waiting to take over the throne and make them all assistants. He washed every foot and gave them a final lesson in servant hood….showing them once again that humility is key to a deep relationship with God.

 

What struck me the most about this scene that John painted for me was the fact that Jesus felt the heart of every foot he washed.  He felt Judas’ attitude that Jesus needed a push to cross over from a ministry position into kingship.  Jesus knew that satan had convinced Judas that turning Jesus in would expedite His taking over of the throne.  He felt Peter’s fear of repercussions if he kept his bold promise to die with Him.  He saw every disciples’ reason for deserting Him that night as he washed their feet and showed His deep love for them….despite the way they hurt Him with their thoughts.

 

Oh how I must hurt Jesus…hurt God…hurt the Holy Spirit with some of the thoughts the Trinity encounters each day from my heart. And despite how many times…how many ways I disappoint Him…God is ready at any moment to love me…deeper than anyone else has ever loved me before. I think of the latest blessing he has granted me…to be a part of watching another one of my children father a child. To see the love Aaron has for this new life God put into his life reminds me of the way Aaron took my breath away from the deep love I felt when I was blessed with him. That is the way God feels about every life that is born…fearfully and wonderfully made…a marvel to behold in God’s enormous world.

 

And just one more thing this morning.  Jesus ended that foot washing session with a charge to all of us to be servants ….to the degree that he was a servant….which I admit quickly is easier said than done.  We are no greater than the Lord that gave us life….and I need to remember that more often when satan comes trying to trick me into making selfish decisions that help no one but myself. I need to remember that God’s plan to prosper me will prosper everyone else around me if I am truly in His will.

 

Father….thank you for the reminder that you love me deeper than my mind can ever fathom.  You made me and looked down on my creation as a perfect gift that I marred with sin.  Thank you for the gift of salvation that washed me clean once again…so I could experience your perfect love once again.  Forgive me for all the times that I took your love for granted and hurt you.  Help me to internalize the charge he gave us all to be a servant…even when I feel the hurt from proverbial sticks and stones and words that are constantly hurled at my heart.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment