Saturday, June 27, 2015

Prayer...Powerful Communication With God


Acts 12:5-7  -  But earnest prayer was going up to God from the church for his safety all the time he was in prison.  The night before he was to be executed, he was asleep, double-chained between two soldiers with others standing guard before the prison gate,   when suddenly there was a light in the cell and an angel of the Lord stood beside Peter! The angel slapped him on the side to awaken him and said, “Quick! Get up!” And the chains fell off his wrists!

 

Peter had been arrested and scheduled for execution as soon as the Passover feast was over…but he wasn’t worried.  He was double chained to a dungeon wall….between two guards and a host of others posted throughout the prison….yet he was fast asleep. His faith was strong enough to understand that even this seemingly hopeless situation had some purpose in spreading the gospel. He let God calm enough to sleep through the discomfort of prison…and the hopeless thoughts of his impending death…that could tear his faith apart.

 

Peter also had many believers praying for him in a nearby home. We are not told what words they used to pray…just that they met together in fervent prayer. When they learned of the news of his wrongful sentence…they stopped everything and called a prayer meeting…one that lasted into the wee hours of the night….to ask God to grant him safety.

 

They could not see the angel God sent to Peter to answer their prayers…they just kept on praying. They could not see Peter loosed from the chains that held him until he was scheduled to die….they just kept on praying. They did not even believe the young girl who answered the knock on the door while they prayed…that Peter stood before her at the door….free of shackles.

 

The story reminds me of two important truths about prayer.  First…prayer should be our first defense against any thing that troubles us.  We should gather with other believers and pray for the safety of those that we know have met with darkness and trouble…. and we should be willing to spend all night praying…all day…all week…until we get our answer from God. I am also reminded that I should believe in what I am praying for. Those people had prayed all night for Peter…for safety…probably for his release….but they rejected the servant girl’s first message of his release…that God had actually found a way to release Peter while they prayed.

 

I admit that I needed both reminders….to pray more earnestly…with purpose for the ones God has let me know are in deep trouble. I am more guilty of doubting the outcome of my prayers….doubting that he will answer the prayers I send up in miraculous…even supernatural ways. I need to be more like Moses…constantly in God’s presence to petition for the people God called him to lead.  I need to be more like David…crying out to God every time I know of a need….sharing with him my deep sorrow for the ones he is allowing to go through dark times.  I need to be more like Daniel...praying three times a day with my face to the Heavens….asking God for strength to endure till he sends me the answers to my prayers.  I need to be more like Peter…so sure of God’s will…so full of God’s peace that  surpasses understanding… that he was able to sleep and rest thinking that his death was in just a few days.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that prayer is a powerful tool of communication and healing.  Forgive me for all the times that I have underutilized the gift of prayer in my life….even prayed in doubt that your will would be close to my request.  Help me to be like these early Christians who were willing to pray all night and into the next day for their friend in Christ. Toss in a bit of Moses tenaciousness…David’s heart….and Daniel’s routine…to help me be a better prayer warrior for myself and others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment