Sunday, June 28, 2015

Set Apart...Sent Out To New Tasks In God


Acts 13:1-3 - Among the prophets and teachers of the church at Antioch were Barnabas and Symeon (also called “The Black Man”), Lucius (from Cyrene), Manaen (the foster-brother of King Herod), and Paul. One day as these men were worshiping and fasting the Holy Spirit said, “Dedicate Barnabas and Paul for a special job I have for them.” So after more fasting and prayer, the men laid their hands on them—and sent them on their way.

 

The church grew steadily…adding all who believed on Christ to their number.  They met often and prayed and fasted …and listened intently for God to tell them what to do. They were a mixture of cultures and races…all unified by their love of God and acceptance of the gift of salvation Jesus gave them when they believed on them. They were focused on leading others to Christ…so when the Holy Spirit spoke…they listened.

 

God split this group up…and sent two of them on their way to wherever the Spirit would tell them. They laid hands on them and prayed and even fasted to help focus their hearts on God’s purpose and leave the world’s agenda behind.  They did not know exactly what would happen …how God would use their friends as they left...they just knew that the Holy Spirit had spoken…and these two men needed to follow its directions.

 

I read this passage several times…not really letting the confirmation sink in. God has separated me for a special task…and that is why I have packed all my belongings…bought a house 130 miles away…and will leave the great weekly support of a church I love dearly in one more day. I know I have listened correctly…for I have an inner peace about the move…even though glitch after small glitch has tried to plant seeds of doubt. …even though God hasn’t revealed his purpose in moving me completely yet…or how I am to supplement my meager retirement income when I get there.

 

It is the Holy Spirit that gives me the faith…the courage….and the ability to accept the promise of Jeremiah 29:11. He alone knows what plans he has to give me hope for my future. He alone knows how he will turn these bittersweet feelings I have in my heart… of love and pining for my friends in London KY…into prosperous relationships with family and new friends in Sevier County TN. God has the plan…I just have to walk in faith….pray …and perhaps find something to fast to show God I have fully accepted it…no matter what it is.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you have a plan for me.  Forgive me for the times that I have doubted that plan…and failed to accept it fully.  Help me with the next few days of moving…. goodbyes… hellos…listening….and walking completely in faith. Thank you for all you have done to get me to this point in my relationship with you…and thank you in advance for all the blessings to come as I walk in faith to a new season of life with you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment