Thursday, June 7, 2012

God is in Control


Hebrews 12: 1-3 and 26-27 - Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

 At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, "Once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens." The words "once more" indicate the removing of what can be shaken--that is, created things--so that what cannot be shaken may remain.



Sorry to ‘verse jump’ again…but I think once again these particular verses that begin and end this wonderful chapter speak to the core of who we should be when we accept Christ and begin to allow him to control our life….COMPLETELY!  We have no excuse that hasn’t already been voiced by the great men of God who tried them before us. God did not allow excuses to prevent their faith to grow….and after reading this chapter…I am sure he won’t accept them from me either.



Our lives are so full of hindrances…some we have even accepted as the norm…. we allow ourselves to be tricked into thinking that the world is in control.  We allow so many things to take our eyes off Jesus…we sometimes forget to stop and look in his direction at all. I am not talking about the big things that all of agree are wrong…I am including the things that most of us deem necessary to basic life…job schedules….friends… illness… they all keep us focused on the world that we live in...instead of the God who is control of our lives.  When we keep our eyes focused on Jesus as we work…as we play…as we tend to our sick loved ones…as we fellowship with our friends…he can begin to mature our faith in him and help us to be stronger than we ever dreamed.



He says many things …it really is another chapter you should read carefully…that will allow God to take our small seeds of faith and make them grow. Embedded in the verses of this chapter are the keys to being able to focus our eyes on Jesus instead of the world in which we live.  We must endure hardship…as a way of discipline. Allow God to train us with the trials he allows in our lives…so he can mold us into a vessel he can use. We must strengthen our feeble and weak knees…really get down on them and pray for guidance…stop telling God what we want and let him tell us what he wants from us!  Live in peace and let our compassion for others drive our schedules instead of the greed for things.



The author of Hebrews makes it clear when he quotes the prophet Haggai, and repeats the words given so long ago from Haggai 2.  God is in control..He has and will continue to shake our world….until everything that can be shaken has been shaken.  God will not allow the things that man depends on like government….weather…education…laws…to govern his choices but for a season…he will prove to us over and over who is truly in control until it is time to return.  For in the end…Heaven will remain..with God on his throne..and his son Jesus on his right side…and all those of us who persevere till the end.



Father…it is so comforting to know that you are in control…help me to trust you to do what is best for me in evry season of life you guide me through. Help me to keep my eyes focused on you…to look up for your plan and will for everything I do.  Show me how to grow in all the trials you have been sending my way…do not let me waste any of your precious lessons and have to repeat them later.  Give me more time to seek you on my knees in prayer and listen to your voice tell me what to do…every day…every moment. Help me to hold on to you when you shake things up down here in my temporary home.  Give me a seat belt that will buckle me in for the entire ride! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment