Saturday, June 9, 2012

Listening AND Doing


James 1:19-24  -  My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,  for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.  Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.  Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.



I am processing this scripture just a bit backwards….cause the last part jumped out at me first.  James did not write it down that way so I must really think about this one.  I thought as I read the last part that most mornings I want to forget what I look like…I avoid looking in the mirror until I absolutely have to. My short hair is every which way I don’t want it to be…wallowed to death by my pillow.  But James is not talking about our outward appearance here.  He is telling me that my insides need nourishment…I  need to feed myself with the word every day…AND…then apply it to my life. I need to take in the word of God and remember its wisdom when I am faced with the trials that are allowed in my life.



As I began to study and decipher this scripture..to see what God might want me to remember…I read many commentaries that said this was a controversial scripture…that James and Paul contradict each other.  Paul said that our salvation is given to us...a gift of grace…no works required. James says that our faith is dead without works.  I believe they are both right…they don’t contradict…they compliment each other.  We need to accept God’s precious gift of salvation…read the bible…and allow its truths o become a part of our heart….allow the words we read to become a daily attitude of service to others.



This scripture also reminded me of how important it is to listen…which I admit is not my best trait. My brain has this odd random thought feature...that seems to have a mind of its own.  It thinks of something and wants to process it right then…usually out loud….sometimes while someone else is talking.   Maybe that is another reason God gave me this task of writing.  I am silent when I write…I read…I process…I listen to what he says..and I process what it means with the keys of the laptop I type on.   And yes ..I erase and edit a lot before I post it each day.  It is helping me to become a better listener in other venues too.



Father…I thank you for your gift of salvation…and I thank you for the bible that is teaching me how to be a better person.  I am sorry you have had to work so hard at teaching me to be quiet…but I thank you again for not giving up on me…for keeping those lessons on listening coming.  Give me a heart to discern when to listen and when to talk.  Give me ears that hear you more clearly…and as James says in verse 5 and 6, “ If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.” Give me that wisdom…and help me to believe…really believe and not doubt your power that cam move mountains….walk on water…and heal all the sickness in our world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment