Friday, June 29, 2012

Power to Change


Jude1:17-23- But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold.  They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires."  These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.  But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit.  Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.  Be merciful to those who doubt;  snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear--hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

The closer I get to the end of this great Bible…this book of directions for living my life….the more urgent the warnings get to stay on the alert for false teachings and the fake Christians Jude warns us about who really don’t believe with their whole heart…they twist the words of the bible to fit whatever they want to do.  They use the church as a conscience check…..sitting in the pews on Sunday…sleeping with their eyes open during the sermon…..maybe lifting a selfish prayer or two…maybe even singing in the choir…or teaching a class.  Their offerings are like Cain’s…left overs…tainted with the sin of selfishness. They party and drink and live immoral lives…some even justify what they do with verses from the bible…pulled out of context.  I know….I have been there….and it was hard to admit that I had become so lost in my own fake world that I believed…and professed quite loudly to the world that I was right. Satan had tricked me so fully that I lived this lie day after day…week after week…believing in my own ignorance because I did not know the truth….didn’t even try to learn the truth.

The truth demanded that I change….that I admit I was wrong…that I put behind me the lie that I had come to believe as the right way. Thanks be to God that I was snatched away from Satan’s lies two long years ago….and I began to study and uncover the sins in my own life.  I did not know then that I was following Jude’s advice…to know the truth…to study God’s word and apply it daily to my life. He also says that we should pray in the spirit….in agreement with God’s laws and teaching.  The prayers we lift should ask God to reveal his will…his big plan for us…how we can help snatch other people out of the world of lies they have built for themselves. We must use God’s love…the love that shows mercy…not judgment…but be careful…even fearful of getting to close to their world of lies. And most of all we should wait…ever hopeful of the day that he will return…and give us a new body to claim the eternal life that he has promised.

Father…I thank you…thank you …and  thank you …and even those shouts of thankfulness don’t seem to cover just how thankful I am that you built a Church like Souls’ Harbor…that at just the right broken moment of my life…you allowed the precious saints in that church to show me mercy and love …and they uncovered the hate…and fear…and selfishness that had allowed Satan to trap me in a world of fakeness. Forgive me Lord….and help me to never listen to Satan’s lies again. Give me a passion to study your great Bible… and really apply everything it teaches to my life. Teach me how to pray in the Spirit Lord…to listen to your voice and know with the certainty of Moses…and Paul…and Jesus…exactly what your will for my life is.   Teach me how to stay in your love…so that it overflows from my heart…and everyone around me may share it.  I can wait for your coming because of the mercy you show to me every day…and be sure of the hope I have in your precious gift of life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment