Sunday, June 3, 2012

Pay it Forward


Hebrews 7:7 – And without doubt the lesser person is blessed by the greater.



I have read Hebrews 7 several times now…once last night…once as I started to write about it this morning…and once again just now as the darkness fades into night. I should be reading Hebrews 8…but I was stuck.  I hardly had any notes after I read last night…so I reread it this morning wondering what the priest had to do with my humble existence…I am nothing…much less than the priest Melchizedek. I just didn’t hear any clear message on this one today…and I sure couldn’t read another chapter without asking God one more time to help me figure out what he needed me to learn from this chapter.



My parents don’t have internet...and since I really don’t feel compelled to run out to Mickey Dees at this late hour to do research…AND…my phone service was inadequate to cheat and look up a commentary on the chapter for insights …I guess God just really wants to me to think this one out with just him.  So I as I opened the bible once more to try and figure it out I whispered…cause everyone is asleep but me..lol…I whispered…Jesus help me…help me… help me…a few times and I looked down to see this verse.



Seems like a no brainer…you have to be greater to bless the lesser …right?  You have to have something to give away to bless someone …right? Well if we only look at the surface here…that is true…but I can’t help but wonder how some of the poorest people in the world end up blessing others too.  Even in the bible…there are countless stories of how Jesus took little or nothing…blessed it and turned it into a mighty miracle.  Who would have thought that spit mixed with dirt could restore sight…or five fish and a few loaves of bread could feed five thousand men…not to mention all the women and children that traveled with them.



The key here… I think God is telling me… is that we must always realize that what we own belongs to God anyway. The more we have been blessed with the more we have to bless others with.  And we have to remember that we have been blessed with more than just material wealth and money.  We have been given personality gifts…to make others laugh…to bring compassion into the lives of those that suffer….to give of our time in ministries…or prayer.  Our high priest…Jesus…meets our needs through the blessings he has showered on us all…and is calling us to be the greater one and bless those that need whatever we have to offer. We are not to hoard these blessings…and keep them to ourselves. We are to pay it forward…be the greater…and find someone lesser to bless…like Jacob did.



Father…as I pray tonight…and you bless me with internet to post sometime tomorrow…I realize that you have given me so much more that I ever realized to share with others.  Give me new eyes to see how I can be the greater one as I walk through each day and share the great blessings you entrusted me with… to others. Forgive me once again for not realizing how selfish I really am…and show me how to invest the blessings you entrusted to me in others each day. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment