Monday, June 4, 2012

Jesus...Our HIgh Priest


Hebrews 9:1-7 -  Now the first covenant had regulations for worship and also an earthly sanctuary. A tabernacle was set up. In its first room were the lampstand, the table and the consecrated bread; this was called the Holy Place. Behind the second curtain was a room called the Most Holy Place, which had the golden altar of incense and the gold-covered ark of the covenant. This ark contained the gold jar of manna, Aaron's staff that had budded, and the stone tablets of the covenant. Above the ark were the cherubim of the Glory, overshadowing the atonement cover. But we cannot discuss these things in detail now.  When everything had been arranged like this, the priests entered regularly into the outer room to carry on their ministry.  But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance.



Think really hard about the old way…the way Moses had to teach the Israelites’ to worship God. They had to follow such formal rules…rules that showed not only their obedience and loyalty…but their reverence. The temple had to be built just so…the table arranged with just the right items…the perfect lamb or cow killed in just the right way.  If all the rules were followed just so…the actions paid the high price God required to forgive the sins they committed….actions that required blood to wash and purify their soul....actions that showed they loved God more than anything else.



I find myself guilty once again this morning…guilty of taking for granted the high price Jesus paid for my salvation…so I don’t have to live in that world of rules.  He simplified my life beyond comprehension when his obedience allowed the perfect blood of God’s son to wash all my sins away. He entered the holy of holies that day when he conquered death...he became my high priest…who could now sit in the presence of God and intercede for every soul that asks him to save them.



Something else strikes me about this scripture. It says that the high priest entered only once a year…Exodus 28 describes the bells they had to wear… just in case they had not followed a rule and were struck dead when they dared enter the holy of holies without properly purifying themselves for service.  Jesus made it possible for me to have access to God 24/7….Jesus will intercede for me not just when I ask ….but when he feels I need it. I do not have to pray through a priest…or the mother Mary….I can lift my voice anywhere I happen to be…my wonderful home….a hospital room…Mickey Dees….or lowliest abode that exists in our world.  Mark 15:32 says, “And the curtain in the sanctuary of the Temple was torn in two, from top to bottom.” The priests no longer had to go and offer sacrifices for the people….they did not have to wear anymore bells on their cloaks.  Jesus hears our cries…and as our High Priest…he intercedes in all matters to the father.



For some reason…I think we all know why without my saying it…I feel compelled to keep sacrificing.  I don’t have the old rules memorized…cause I don’t need them.  I just have to give God my heart…and he sends the Holy Spirit to tell me what to sacrifice.  Some days it is simply my time to answer the phone….others it is a financial donation to a ministry I believe he put a passion in my heart to support….and even others it is a menial task that shows I love my neighbor more than I do myself.



Thank you father for your precious gift …your son’s perfect blood that washed away all my sin.  I thank ou as well for the Holy Spirit that you sent to guide my heart..and help me to decipher how you want me to share the blessings you put me in charge of in this season of my life.   Continue to help me stay humble…so I can hear you clearly.   Give me eyes that see every need you send to me…ears that hear every cry for help that you intend for me to minister to….and a heart that continues to search for new ways to spread your love to the people of this world who have no clue how wonderful is it!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment