Saturday, June 16, 2012

No Fear Allowed!


1 Peter 3:13 - 17 -  Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.

Peter…he understood fear.  He saw Jesus one night walking to the boat he was in …on the water. The story in Matthew 14 tells us that the disciples called out in fear because they thought Jesus was a ghost. Peter’s faith was so weak he didn’t even recognize his Lord….so he asked him to prove it.  Jesus treated him just like he does us…he let him come out to him…and it was really cool…till Peter took his eyes off Jesus…and felt the dread that fear causes for the second time that night….and began to sink.  Jesus rescued him twice…just in that one night!

I have heard many times…and a facebook friend reminded me just this morning …that we are told 365 times in the bible not to fear.  That is one reminder for each day of the week..and still most of us struggle each day with some type of fear.  Maybe we just don’t fix our eyes and heart on Jesus like we should.  Maybe we just don’t trust God to do what is best for us.  Maybe we just need a little more faith. I wish I could say I had the magic answer…but I am just like Peter.  I know I need to fix my heart and eyes on Jesus..but I let the world distract me and just like that the fear creeps back in to my world.

Christ expects us to live positive, hopeful, exemplary lives.  Christ knew that Peter would eventually conquer this world of fear when he hinted in John 21….that Peter would stretch out his hands and be led where he did not want to go. Peter fulfilled this prediction with his exemplary life after Jesus reinstated him as a full apostle after his denial.  Just proof to me that God can use us…no matter what mistakes we make in life…and that those mistakes…those huge falls we take…land us right smack dab in Jesus arms…and he gently picks us up and places us right back where HE wants us.

I thought as well how much I wish I were like the great Noah.  He could have cowered at his instructions to build a boat…even skeptical of such a crazy notion as rain. But he allowed God to provide him with a stability and peace….his great ability to fear only the Lord is exactly what Peter is talking about in verse 17…why are we afraid of anything God allows to cross our path but separation from him. It is one of Satan’s strongest tricks…if he can get us to fear the world…we let go of Jesus’ hand…and begin to sink…like Peter.

What a great testimony we show others when we let go of fear…and begin to show all the positive attributes of our faith to everyone around us.  They will see us doing good….praising God in spite of any bad things that happen…keeping our eyes on the father who has a plan.  Jeremiah 29:11-13, “ For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” When we seek him with all our heart…he can free us even from the Fears of this world that hold all of us captive…more than it should.

Father..I am sorry you have to remind me so much not to be afraid.  Help me to grasp this great lesson from Peter…who learned from his mistakes just how powerful you are…and how you are bigger than any problem or storm raging around him.  Thank you for rescuing me so many times …and picking me back up and placing me where you want me to be.  Help me to truly set you apart in my heart…and fix my eyes permanently on you so I can accomplish what you placed me on this Earth to do.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment