Thursday, June 21, 2012

God's Concept of Time


2 Peter 3:8-9and 14-15- But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance…….. So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.  Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.



I had this flashback of my parents…most of the time my mom…giving me those last minute instructions before a trip.  Be sure to brush your teeth…and put on clean clothes everyday…and write me. Oh my...I just dated myself terribly...lol! Peter is saying goodbye here too.  He is writing his last letter to the Christians in Rome that were struggling to ‘fit’ in a world where…frankly..it was just hard! We really have no clue just how hard…we think waiting in the drive through line more than 5 minutes is torture!  He was telling them to never forget the peace of God that allows us to find contentment and patience in this crazy….hurry up to hurry up again ….violent….abuse filled world.



Peter didn’t know it the day he wrote this letter…but God knew that he was really telling all of us...that have accepted his love into our heart two things here.  One is that we need to grasp the concept of patience…as it pertains to others and leading them to Christ. I could just see Jesus…sitting next to his dad…hand gently placed on his shoulder.  “Hey dad…I was just hoping that I was not going back to Earth for a while…I know you said it was soon the last time I asked…but…. there is that group of kids over there in Kentucky…the ones that just left camp.  I know that they are going to lead a t least 100 more kids to your feet in a few weeks.” Wow…I understand how Moses could change God’s mind with his prayers now!   The other is that we need to keep growing in knowledge  ..and seek the peace that passes all understanding for ourselves..so that we can become comfortable sharing it with others…so Jesus can keep going to his dad and say….”hey dad….I hope…cause this one is really on fire….they are adding 5 people a day to your kingdom.” 

I sure can’t remember ever thinking about time this way.  I can recall those nights as a young child…when it was clearly bedtime…and you begged for just one more TV show.  And more recently….the sleep deprivation of summer youth camp takes on a new meaning.  Maybe those 2:00 bedtimes and 5:00 showers had more meaning than I will ever know! Other bible authors have given us the same message…but the distance between chapters and books distracts us from seeing it.



We need to develop a new way of praying…like Jesus taught them in Matthew 6:9-10 ..when he told them to ask for God’s kingdom to come. Oooooh….maybe that conversation between God and Jesus is the other way around.….”Dad Can I go back today…I really miss them…would love to get that Earthly Kingdom going” – “No son…not today…I am adding 3,000 people to the kingdom today.” 



Matthew 24:24 also tells us that we need to witness…stop sitting in that pew on Sunday and thinking that we have done our part.  Quit being afraid to ask the person across table..or the CAN that takes care of your mom if they are going to be your friend forever! AND as we wait…we need to seek his will and be obedient to ANYTHING he asks us to do..just like 2 Peter 3:14 says.



Father…I am amazed at the wonders of your word…and I thank you for revealing this small piece of your heart to me.  Help me to internalize its message….to not just be able to recall the words…but to really live them.  Give me a new boldness to sneak that question in…in creative ways that does not put people on the defensive…or cause them to spout out excuses.  Keep revealing your truth to me..and help me to share it any time I feel the spirit move me to do so! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment