Friday, June 22, 2012

God's Revealing Light


1 John 1:5-7 -  This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.  If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.



How honored John felt to have walked by Jesus’ side. To have conversed with him….to have learned from him..to have known him in the flesh.  Jesus was a light to him…so focused on God that everything he did…everything he said…exposed the sin in John’s life….caused him to confess to the father…so that after Jesus gave his own blood to pay the price for our sins…John was able to experience the light of God too.   The light that exposes sin….shines on the truth…allows us to turn from them and be righteous again….allows God to use us to disperse his love to others.



This light of God…it calls us all to be truthful…to confess our own sins and begin to clean up our lives…to change the things we did that were sinful and begin to share the love that comes from knowing God to produce service in our lives. John is telling us here that our faith is simply a lie if we have not allowed the love of God to overflow in our hearts to others.  John is telling us here that we must allow the light of Jesus to expose our sins ...that we must confess them to him and the believers we worship with so that he can wash them away…forgive us. Then we will begin to make our joy in the Lord complete as he begins to use us.



I feel sorry for the ones who just don’t get this concept.  The ones John was talking too….they were Christians in name only…sitting and listening…following the ten commandments and laws handed down by Moses (sometimes…when it fit their agendas) maybe even reading the word of God and lifting up random prayers.  But they were lying to themselves…God…and the ones around them. They were living a lie…and someday…after they have lived this lie long enough…the lie becomes so real in their heart that it destroys their spirit.



Now don’t start thinking of all the people that you know that fits this today.  John is talking to me…to you…to every Christian who has walked the isle….been baptized and does not change EVERYTHING sinful about their lives. If you have been told that anything you do….or say….or think….is wrong….and the bible agrees with it….you are living a lie...your relationship with God WILL slowly be put on the back burner…and you will begin to be tricked into service for Satan. I know…God identifies new sins in my life every day.  I should not hesitate to put them out of my life…like that refrigerator I came home to yesterday…full of rotten food and leftovers from 4 weeks ago when I left to help take care of my mom. I have to go through every jar…carton…to go box…and make sure I remove anything in my fridge that might make me sick.  It might look good…but it contains very dangerous germs…that can prevent me from being healthy….keep me from doing the things I know I need to do.



Father I thank you this morning that every day I read my bible…and write what you have helped me to understand about it…I have to change something.  I thank you that your light does not depend on Earthly electricity…but is powered forever by your love for me.  Help me to always confess the things you tell me are sins quickly to you…to my Christian friends…so that you will remove them from me….and make me a stronger warrior for you. Forgive me Lord for leaving some sins too long….for allowing them to trick me into thinking that they were not sins anymore….for allowing the lie to keep me from being as effective for you. Give me a new strength to act quicker when you expose the sin in my life.  Give me  heightened vision to see the sin in my life so I can confess it and let you wash it out of my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment