Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Ask...Gaze..and Praise


Genesis 24: 12-15 -  And he said, "O LORD, God of my master Abraham, grant me success today, I pray thee, and show steadfast love to my master Abraham.  Behold, I am standing by the spring of water, and the daughters of the men of the city are coming out to draw water. Let the maiden to whom I shall say, 'Pray let down your jar that I may drink,' and who shall say, 'Drink, and I will water your camels' --let her be the one whom thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac. By this I shall know that thou hast shown steadfast love to my master."  Before he had done speaking, behold, Rebekah, who was born to Bethu'el the son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, came out with her water jar upon her shoulder. 

Abraham’s deep love of God sent his loyal servant back to his homeland to find a suitable wife for his son.  Abraham felt deep in his soul how important it was for Isaac to marry a Godly woman…raised in a family that loved and revered the Lord as much as he did. His servant must have known too…for I do not believe it was just his desire to please Abraham that drove him to pray to God for help.  It was his knowledge of all God had done for Abraham…and the many years of watching his master pray to God that initiated this fervent prayer of help.

I love how God answers this one before he even finishes voicing it! How confirming it must have been to see this beautiful maiden come toward the well….oh how the servant’s heart must have leaped in his chest as he anticipated her words to him.  Oh how his heart must have swelled with joy as he heard the exact words that he had prayed show him the perfect match for his master’s son. And how wonderful that he stopped right then to praise and worship the Lord for his quick answer!

Can you imagine the faces around the dinner table as the servant explains the jewelry he gave Rebekah…as he tells the story to her family…as they realize that Isaac is a relative….as they realize that their daughter will have such a major role in the making of a great nation? How humbling…but how gratifying to be a part of such a great plan of God.  How wonderful that God brought all of them to together for such a sweet moment in time…when all involved knew it was God ….welding together a plan that would change the world forever.  I can just hear the words of the servant as he dropped to his knees and worshiped and thanked God once more for his help …for his guidance. 

Father…you are always here with me…waiting for me to ask you to help me with any problem…great or small.  I thank you that I can ask you for guidance…and watch as you work your plan in front of me.  I pray that you always remind me of this story...when I forget to ask for your help.  Forgive me for letting the world distract me from knowing that you are just a prayer away.  Give me a heart that seeks you in everything I do….every decision I make. Help me to sit and watch and gaze at you…until I am sure that you have spoken your answer. Then let me drop to my knees in thankful praise…and worship you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment