Monday, August 20, 2012

God's Blessings in Spite of our Complacency


Genesis 30:25-28 - When Rachel had borne Joseph, Jacob said to Laban, "Send me away, that I may go to my own home and country.  Give me my wives and my children for whom I have served you, and let me go; for you know the service which I have given you."  But Laban said to him, "If you will allow me to say so, I have learned by divination that the LORD has blessed me because of you;  name your wages, and I will give it." 

Laban knew a good thing when he saw it. He must not have had a very strong relationship with God…for he learned about his blessing by divination…the practice of seeking a glimpse of the future from the pagan worshipers in the area. Amazing to me that the pagan Gods knew his wealth was due to the favor of God on his nephew….but confusing to me is the fact that Laban did not fall immediately to the ground and ask Jacob to show him how to gain this favor for himself. I guess that just goes to show you how wrapped up in the world we can get sometimes.

Jacob must not have been worshiping or talking to God lately either…for watching Laban’s flocks grow to great numbers… having nothing of his own to show for it…he forgets the part of God’s promise to give him the land of Cannan…and multiply his own seed into a great nation of much wealth….so he just asks Laban to release him and his large family to go back home. He does flat out tell Laban that all he has his due to God’s Favor..but he forgets to tell himself that God has promised him the same thing.

But that God…he just shows up and shows out … even though we read nothing of Jacob building  his relationship with God stronger…God blesses the strange method Jacob uses to multiply the few animals he gets in this deal.  The spotted reeds really had no scientific basis for working…Laban even tries to manipulate the numbers by hiding the males that fit Jacob’s request. It is totally a God thing that Jacob’s flocks grow to great numbers….and are stronger in health than his uncles. God’s wisdom wells up inside of Jacob in spite of his lack of faith and dependence on God.

I for one am very happy that God works this way sometimes…for I too have allowed the world to trick me into following its ways instead of God’s ways sometimes.  God doesn’t leave me….he carries me and blesses me in spite of my stupidity…he uses this time of complacency to teach me valuable lessons I will need later in my journey with him. I can look back to every worldly decision I have made with peace now…and bask in God’s mercy that he carried me through the bad decision I made…and allowed it to draw me closer to him.

Father…I thank  you that you are a loving God…full of patience with my human nature.  I thank you that like Jacob…you bless me in spite of my lack of faith in your promise to prosper me and give me hope. Give me this morning a new vision of your love for me…and write on my heart a new prayer of faith….for I know you have great plans for me…and they will prosper me and give me hope for my future ….just like Jeremiah 29:11 told me that day. Whether you give a me a clear dream of exactly what will be…or ask me to wait a little longer while you teach me to depend on just you..help me Lord to thank  you and praise you continually for all the good things you have blessed me with. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment