Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pure Joy times.....?


Genesis 21: 1-7 -  The LORD visited Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did to Sarah as he had promised.  And Sarah conceived, and bore Abraham a son in his old age at the time of which God had spoken to him. Abraham called the name of his son who was born to him, whom Sarah bore him, Isaac.  And Abraham circumcised his son Isaac when he was eight days old, as God had commanded him. Abraham was a hundred years old when his son Isaac was born to him.  And Sarah said, "God has made laughter for me; every one who hears will laugh over me."  And she said, "Who would have said to Abraham that Sarah would suckle children? Yet I have borne him a son in his old age." 

That moment when pure joy overtakes not just your soul…but your entire being…is one that can only be brought about by the goodness of God.  Sarah’s long wait turned her nervous laughter and doubt…into peals of pure joy. As she held that promise finally in her arms…the reality of its joy overtook everyone that came close to her. As Sarah is shown in a physical way just how powerful and mighty God is….she is reminded that nothing is too difficult for God…that God’s dreams for us are sometimes something that we never think can happen …and the joy that overtakes her cures and heals all the wounds from the 90 years of barrenness….the contagious nature of pure joy spreading to everyone that comes near her.

I remember the pure joy of getting that first phone call from my sweet Mitchell. I had met him on Father’s day…but had not heard from him since..and as I was sitting in a warehouse….early in the month of July where I had been working to prepare items to give away at the worship service and meal for some homeless in Nashville, TN. My friends around me..resting on the floor after a long …hot day of organizing…painting….cooking….my cell phone rang.   I spied the number…and for what seemed liked 5 minutes my brain froze. Could it really be that God would bless me with a Godly man to share my life…after the pain and pure sorrow from my divorce a year earlier had convinced me I would be alone forever. And I am still teased about the moment after that…when I beat the floor silently and mouthed the words…. “Oh my gosh…it’s him…it’s him”…and ran out of the room to talk like some silly teenager.

The pure joy of God was evident for the next four months as we dated...and married…and as I try to type through the sweet tears of missing him…I see that the joy God gave me in those months…has helped me to accept that God had in mind something different than I had conceived in  my mind for myself.  September 1…our wedding date…and Oct 3…the day God gave him a home in heaven…were not much time to love each other…and yet even for those short days…his love was so amazing. The joy of knowing Mitchell and being allowed to be married to him began a healing process…it washed over me the love of God and began to erase the self doubt that divorce burns in your soul..it began to teach me that I am not defined by my past…but by the present.

One more point…if I can see to type a few more words. This story…it is a reminder to all of us who still struggle with pain from past hurts. I hope I don’t have to wait till I am 90…and I will try not to giggle in disbelief if God allows me to overhear his next plan for me…because I know that the joy will return when I least expect it. It may be another relationship…..it may be a glorious missionary assignment…it may be something my brain never even thought to be something that God can use to bring in lost souls to his kingdom….but…it will come….and like Sarah I will once again proclaim the joy of the Lord …and I will praise him…and I will allow the joy to overtake my being.

Oh father..I can’t see to type through my tears….a mixture of thankfulness …joy…sweet memories…and recollection of the great love you gave me for that short season of life. Help me Lord to remain ever expectant that you are welding together some great joy for me again…that since I am still on this Earth…you still have something important for me to do. Give me eyes to see everything you place in my path to train me for that next task.  Give me hears to hear the deceitful tricks that Satan will use to keep me from walking the quickest…straightest path to your will.   And father…I just thank you and praise you for that time you allowed with Mitchell…and for the lessons of love they help teach me about you.  Continue to strengthen me and give me courage to seek you for a new season…one that will be even more wonderful than my four months with him. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment