Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Peace...not Anger


Genesis 31:36-42 -  Then Jacob became angry, and upbraided Laban; Jacob said to Laban, "What is my offense? What is my sin, that you have hotly pursued me?  Although you have felt through all my goods, what have you found of all your household goods? Set it here before my kinsmen and your kinsmen, that they may decide between us two.  These twenty years I have been with you; your ewes and your she-goats have not miscarried, and I have not eaten the rams of your flocks.  That which was torn by wild beasts I did not bring to you; I bore the loss of it myself; of my hand you required it, whether stolen by day or stolen by night. Thus I was; by day the heat consumed me, and the cold by night, and my sleep fled from my eyes. These twenty years I have been in your house; I served you fourteen years for your two daughters, and six years for your flock, and you have changed my wages ten times.  If the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac, had not been on my side, surely now you would have sent me away empty-handed. God saw my affliction and the labor of my hands, and rebuked you last night." 

Twenty years of pent up emotions was unleashed in this angry speech to Laban. Jacob finally reached his breaking point …and poured out all the hurt…all the unfairness…all his hidden feelings. If it had not been shared in anger…I would say it was well deserved….even called for…but a part of me knows that things said in anger can’t be taken back.  Jacob doesn’t know that his wife Rachel has stolen her father’s household gods…teraphims that maybe she feels she deserves because she was mistreated by him too.   Jacob in his anger….pronounces his beloved wife’s death sentence…and curses her unknowingly. Jacob…in his anger… allows his pride to shoot a list of …”I did all these things for you” …. a mile long at Laban.

Jacob’s anger was wrong…and I think he realized it at the end of his speech…for he finally gives the credit for all his success to God at the end. And after they both calm down…and Laban tears through the camp looking for his gods….they both decide to sign a peace treaty. And they build an altar to Jacob’s God…and sacrifice to God…and eat and fellowship…and say goodbye.  They give oath to each other with God as their witness…that they will never bother each other again. Laban gets to say goodbye to his daughters and grandchildren…and Jacob gets to continue his travels with a clear head.

The peace of God is like that…it washes over all the hate and ugly emotions that have built up for years…and forgiveness takes its place.  The peace that these two felt was forgiveness...and the forgiveness that Jacob allowed God to wash over him …helped him to view all those ways God allowed him to be tricked in an entirely different way.  He began to see them as lessons that built his character…lessons that taught him perseverance…lessons that taught him obedience to God and his laws.  Jacob deepened his relationship with God that day…because he realized peace was more important than anger….that the lessons we learn from our life hurts can far outweigh the pain and sorrow we endure form them.

Father …I thank you for every hurt and wrong that was ever done to me.  I thank you for the covering that you provided …the love you washed over me to help me endure and move past the pain.  I thank you for all the times you covered me when I was angry. Help me this day to see those times of injustice…as ways that you have tried to make me stronger. Give me clear visions of the lessons you were teaching me…and reveal to me the things I need to learn to be a better vessel for you. Help me to always seek you in peace and build an altar and praise you…and never lash out in anger again. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment