Friday, August 17, 2012

Delayed Blessings


Genesis 27:1-6 -  When Isaac was old and his eyes were dim so that he could not see, he called Esau his older son, and said to him, "My son"; and he answered, "Here I am."  He said, "Behold, I am old; I do not know the day of my death.  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me,  and prepare for me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat; that I may bless you before I die."  Now Rebekah was listening when Isaac spoke to his son Esau. So when Esau went to the field to hunt for game and bring it,  Rebekah said to her son Jacob, "I heard your father speak to your brother Esau, 

Sometimes we just happen to be in a position where we hear tidbits of knowledge that tell us more than we can handle.  The information we hear  …the news that is heard …is so devastating it causes our brain to go into survival mode.  Whether we hear by accident or by some premeditated action really doesn’t matter.  We feel so strongly that the outcome…if left to the natural order of things …if left to the timing of God’s plan…will crush us forever…so we fall into the trap Rebekah fell into…and we weave an orchestrated set of deceit that is meant to help God work good of some sort. Rebekah’s sin is twofold here…she lies..because she does not trust God!

Jacob’s initial fear sure didn’t stem from the possible loss of God’s…Isaac’s or Rebekah’s love.  It stemed from the possibility of being caught…of being cursed forever. But Rebekah…she is relentless…maybe even desperate to see God’s earlier words come true. Having been told before the boys birth that Jacob would be the ruler of the other…she figures the news was meant for her…and weaves this plan to make sure God’s words are true. She tells Jacob to lie…and he follows mom’s advice…and a complicated web of deceit…changes Jacob’s future for ever.

The only thing good he got that day he lied to his father was the proclamation of the blessing…a little earlier than God planed. God did not allow Isaac’s blessing to manifest till many years later. For now….the hatred this act causes between his brother….and Rebekah’s fear of losing her favorite son….cause Jacob to have to flee to a relative’s home far away. This web of lies they spin cost them their relationship with each other…for Rebekah never sees him again. And it takes God many years to untangle the web of dishonesty in Jacob…so he can use him once again…and fulfill the blessing…and start to fulfill the bigger promise he made to Abraham. Once again the interruption of our human nature causes o plan to be delayed .

I could write pages and pages of convicted moments in my life that mirror Rebekah’s haste and lack of trust in God’s timing.  One biggie….was the day I drove myself literally out of Williamsburg Kentucky and began the process of divorcing the father of three very precious children. And even if I listed all the smaller times I tried to speed up God’s plans…I am sure there are probably some moments still buried so deep in my soul that even God has chosen not to uncover them just yet. It is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do…..for my human sense of time is so urgent….and waiting causes me to begin to doubt my surroundings…myself... and God’s plan for my future. All I do is give Satan a foothold to make that doubt even stronger….and I end up letting go of God’s hand for a moment….and his plan for me is delayed..while he waits for me to trust him once again…so he can clean up the mess I made…and get me back on track.

Father…I know that you have forgiven me for the times I left you and did not trust you…and I know that you have forgiven me for any lie and deceit I ever used to get something I wanted…or used to cover up the truth.  I thank you that your love is beginning to wash away all the consequences of my deceit and sin. You are so amazing…that even though I walked without you for years….you are still working that great plan in my life….that plan to prosper me and give me hope for my future.  Thank you for never giving up on me…for walking next to me even though I did not hold your hand…and taking the time to teach me...and help me see the mistakes I made…and even use them to strengthen me. Help me learn to wait on you Lord…to stop trying to help you….and slow down your plan. Give me the courage it takes to trust you to do all things for the good of those that love you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment