Sunday, August 5, 2012

Faith that Simply Believes


Genesis 15:1-6 -  After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward."  But Abram said, "O Sovereign LORD, what can you give me since I remain childless and the one who will inherit my estate is Eliezer of Damascus?"  And Abram said, "You have given me no children; so a servant in my household will be my heir." Then the word of the LORD came to him: "This man will not be your heir, but a son coming from your own body will be your heir."  He took him outside and said, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars--if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be." Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness.

God is so amazing..he wants to give us all great blessings…he wants to do great and mighty things for me..just as he did them for Abram. Rich beyond his dreams….God promises to bless him even more..so Abram just flat out tells him…he has everything he ever wanted…but a son…a child to carry on his name. A child to leave all that God had blessed him with. So just like that… God spoke to Abram a promise ….the only thing Abram felt that he needed to complete his life. He didn’t just speak it…he took him by the hand and took him outside.  God gave Abram a visual picture that he would never forget…and as they gazed at the night sky together…God told him to count the stars..if he could. Those stars were not even as many as the descendents Abram would bring into the world. God would create from his seed a mighty nation….a blessed nation…covered by God’s great love…forever.

And Abram modeled for us what to do when God makes us a promise…he believed.  Abram asked no questions…did not demand to know how…or when ...he just believed.  What great faith he must have had to accept what seems so ridiculous to me.  To think that he and his wife would have enough children to match the number of stars he saw….it must have been one of those defining moments in his life…a moment so cool…so unbelievable…that all you can do is be silent. Abram’s heart must have overflowed with joy and love for his God at such a marvelous promise. 

What Abram did not do is doubt…God told him not to fear…so he didn’t.  God told him he would have a son…and he knew in his heart it was true….so as I write…I am reminded just how much I have to grow to have this kind of faith..the kind that believes not only that the storm I am in at the present will not hurt me…because God said he would defend me…but that when I am led completely through it…a blessing so great my imagination cannot conceive it is waiting for me. His strong belief in the literal words of the father..gave his heart so much joy that he could have waited till he was 999…if God so decided.  The promise alone gave him great strength…because he believed in the literal words that God spoke.

Father…how dare I ever doubt that you are master of my life and that you have only good in mind for me.  Thank you for every blessing you have given me and help me to wait for you to take my hand and show me what you have planned for my life left here on Earth.  Give me a faith like Abram…that accepts your blessing and love….and believes…no matter how credulous or crazy it seems at the time.  Give me a strength to know that you are welding a great plan to prosper me. I need your love and patience to help me to weather the last aftershocks of the last two years of my life.  Help me wait …just a little longer..and to know in my heart that you have this…and that a great blessing is waiting for me ..when you have trained me to use it properly. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment