Monday, August 13, 2012

Invest in Your Future


Genesis 23:1-6  -  Sarah lived a hundred and twenty-seven years; these were the years of the life of Sarah.  And Sarah died at Kir'iath-ar'ba (that is, Hebron) in the land of Canaan; and Abraham went in to mourn for Sarah and to weep for her.  And Abraham rose up from before his dead, and said to the Hittites, "I am a stranger and a sojourner among you; give me property among you for a burying place, that I may bury my dead out of my sight."  The Hittites answered Abraham,  "Hear us, my lord; you are a mighty prince among us. Bury your dead in the choicest of our sepulchres; none of us will withhold from you his sepulchre, or hinder you from burying your dead."

As I read the first mention of tears in the bible…I had a brief twinge of emotion as I remembered the burial of my own second husband…but then I started thinking that there was more to this story than just the death of Abraham’s wife.  It was no accident that she died while they were living in Canaan…the grief and sadness created a legitimate reason for Abraham to acquire his first piece of the promised land of God before his own death. His faith had grown in his long years on the Earth…and he knew some day…his people would own the whole land. Abraham modeled for us all that there is always a future..that we should not cling to the present or past….but grasp the promises of God to do great things…to prosper and bless his people.

 He paid 400 shekels of silver…a very high price for this burial cave…for the man who sold it saw an opportunity to sell the whole field. AND even though Abraham was a sojourner and wanderer…this was not a sacrifice…the men of Canaan knew that Abraham was rich and even realized that his blessings came from God. A quick history lesson tells us that this dialogue between the two men was the custom in that day…. The land first being offered as a gift was just a polite beginning to the transaction. Abraham was expected to make a counter-offer that cut the price in half…but Abraham wanted to pay the highest price…so that there would be no question of ownership later. What better way to thank God for his blessings than to invest in the land God had promised him over 70 years before. He could see the future God intended for his son..and he wanted Sarah to be buried where God said his home would someday be too.

God’s promises to us are never given in our past. A promise …by its very nature…must be fulfilled in the present or the future. This story tells me that I must invest in God’s promises to me…not just wait for him to lay it in my lap. Abraham’s faith in God’s promise…shows us all that we must reach out and grab in faith what we know to be God’s will for our lives.  We must be ready to invest what he gives us into other’s lives as well. As he pours into us…we must pour out to others.  We are to be active participants in moving forward in God’s plan for our lives.  We are to seek him…with all of our heart…..with all of our soul…with all of our mind. All means all!

Father…your blessings amaze me! I stand in awe of what you have done for me…how you have helped me move from the deep sadness of loss and grief…to the joy of resting in a greater promise. Forgive me for my impatience in your plan..and help me to see the future with new eyes. Reveal to me just how to invest the many blessings you shower on me every day with all those around me.  Help me invent new ways to share your love as I wait for your promise to prosper me in the future.  Help me to invest in the hope you have already placed in my heart…and watch it grow into a blessing so big that all those that see it will marvel at your glory and power. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment