Sunday, August 12, 2012

How Much do you Love God?


Genesis 22:12-14 -  But the angel of the LORD called to him from heaven, and said, "Abraham, Abraham!" And he said, "Here am I."  He said, "Do not lay your hand on the lad or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me."  And Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, behind him was a ram, caught in a thicket by his horns; and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son.  So Abraham called the name of that place The LORD will provide; as it is said to this day, "On the mount of the LORD it shall be provided." 

Abraham had been given orders to sacrifice the promise God had given him. I imagine that he did not sleep much the night before he left….and my mind wonders what prayers he must have uttered. But this story..as the Bible records it….says that Abraham got up early…cut wood…and did exactly what God told him to. He had to travel 3 days with this dreadful order in his head…but the bible does not record any vocalized doubt…no pitiful cries to the father to let him sacrifice something less meaningful to his life. The conversation between Abraham and his son is not recorded….maybe Abraham’s heart was so heavy with sadness he walked the whole three days in silence…praying God take this horrible task from his hand.

But Abraham …in the most revered act of obedience recorded in the old testament….raised the knife to slay the sacrificial lamb…his own son. In that moment…Abraham decided to follow God completely…he believed that if indeed this son must be a sacrifice…he trusted God to provide another to fulfill his promise. And in that moment …God was sure that Abraham would indeed choose him above the son that would carry on his seed….and an angel calls out from Heaven…and tells him that he has the evidence he needs…the proof that God is first in his life. Then God provides a substitute….a ram caught by his very horns in a bush.  I wonder what Isaac thought as his father untied him and they killed the ram and burned it on the altar. I wonder if Abraham shared the whole story…of why he almost killed his own son.

Makes me wonder if I am as ready to place God first in my own life….if I can give up every single blessing he has given me to prove that I love him the most!  I am pretty sure God is not going to have me slay and sacrifice my own child….but I remember that God actually carried out a similar plan when he gave up his own son on the cross.  He allowed a precious human woman to carry the seed of his precious son. He trained him for around 27 years…then launched a ministry that lasted 3…before the world decided that he must be done away with….and they killed him on that cross. God did not stop the angels that day…he let the nails rip through his flesh…he let the sword pierce his side…he even allowed death to overcome this precious son who prayed the night before to have this cup taken from him.  And in that moment..the perfect sacrifice of Jesus …split the gates of hell wide open and made a way for all of us to be saved….no more blood sacrifices are needed….Jesus’ blood paid the full price for all our sins.

Father…I am continually amazed at how much you love me. I thank you for sacrificing your son….for watching him suffer so.  I ask that you help me to remember this sacrifice the next time you tell me that I should give something up…because it trying to take your place.  Open my heart to see anything that I have made a little too important in my life. Reveal to me anything that I need to remove from my life that endangers my relationship with you.   Thank you for this story…that not only reminds me that I need to place you first in my life….but that I also need to obey you in all that you tell me to do. Help me to always remember that you have a plan for my life…and it is to prosper me…to give me hope for my future..and that you love me more than I could ever love myself. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment