Thursday, August 30, 2012

Replacing Bitterness with Faith


Genesis 40:6-9 -  When Joseph came to them in the morning and saw them, they were troubled.  So he asked Pharaoh's officers who were with him in custody in his master's house, "Why are your faces downcast today?"  They said to him, "We have had dreams, and there is no one to interpret them." And Joseph said to them, "Do not interpretations belong to God? Tell them to me, I pray you."  So the chief butler told his dream to Joseph, and said to him, "In my dream there was a vine before me, 

Typical Joseph…making the best of his confinement….always looking for way to help others….giving God the glory for all his talents and gifts.  Joseph sees the two prisoners he has been charged to take care of sad…and downcast.  They had probably let their imprisonment slowly wear on their soul and body..and let fear and sadness overcome them. The dreams must have further upset them…and they had no one to interpret them and help them understand their meanings.

Joseph doesn’t berate them or judge them…he uses this moment for God…sees it as an opportunity to witness…to show what God could do through him. He allows God to give him the meaning of two very different dreams…one very hopeful….and one completely morose and disturbing. Joseph showed compassion on these two prisoners….and shares the great news of freedom to one….but does not hide the horrible future of the other’s death sentence. He gives the meaning as God gives it…not hiding a bit of the sadness or joy.

Joseph also seizes a moment to request a favor from the one who was going to be restored. And as he requests the butler to remember him when he is freed in three days…his true character is revealed in his reflection upon his own imprisonment.  He simply states in verse 15, “For I was indeed stolen out of the land of the Hebrews; and here also I have done nothing that they should put me into the dungeon.” How amazing that he does not list all the wrongs and injustices of his life…instead this simple statement of where he finds himself now…and the confidence that he is guilty of no wrongs to deserve it.

God is using this example of Joseph to teach me this morning….that I need to be more careful when I reflect on my own hurts in life.  And as I think back to the times when I have berated the ex….or verbalized other hurts to others….it did not make me feel any better to place blame on anyone else. Things happen that are not always explained by the hatred of others…or the lack of love after years of marriage….and God allowed these pains and hurts in my life for a purpose. Maybe I don’t see the reason right now….but I know in my heart that he has plans for me…a purpose….plans to prosper me and use me just like he used Joseph. I must somehow learn to let go of the bitterness…and embrace God….so that I can serve him more fully.

Father…thank you for your wonderful love that can bring strength and deep faith…even after the worst storms in life. I thank  you that you are teaching me to let go of the pain and bitterness of the past through the story of this great man Joseph.  I ask that you help me erase all those statements I used to  use to describe my divorce…..and replace them with a more simple statement of faith…that will show your strength in my new found faith in you.  Place in my mouth good words that contain only the truth that you would have me reveal to others that you place in my care and charge. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment