Wednesday, August 29, 2012

God's Blessings Despite Hardship


Genesis 39:1-5 Now Joseph was taken down to Egypt, and Pot'i-phar, an officer of Pharaoh, the captain of the guard, an Egyptian, bought him from the Ish'maelites who had brought him down there.  The LORD was with Joseph, and he became a successful man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian, and his master saw that the LORD was with him, and that the LORD caused all that he did to prosper in his hands.  So Joseph found favor in his sight and attended him, and he made him overseer of his house and put him in charge of all that he had.  From the time that he made him overseer in his house and over all that he had the LORD blessed the Egyptian's house for Joseph's sake; the blessing of the LORD was upon all that he had, in house and field. 

Joseph is such a model of perseverance and obedience for me. He faces unfair situation after unfair situation with a resolve to serve God with every ounce of his pride that he is allowed to keep.  So what he was thrown in a well…sold into slavery….wrongfully accused of rape…he holds tightly to God’s hand and is blessed through every bad situation. And God doesn’t just bless Joseph…he blesses the household and person he is so faithful too. Joseph never even considers having a pity party…he just serves each man that is put in charge of him as if he were God too.

Joseph modeled for the pagans he served a mighty faith that spoke more than mere words could ever express.  His faith touched the hearts and lives of every person he was around…drawing the goodness of God from Joseph’s heart into every place his feet touched. His obedience…and faith…and resolve to be God’s vessel no matter where he found himself…brought blessings and favor to his life and every life that he served. Not once do we read that he asked God why me? Not once do we hear him cry out in disbelief that he would suffer a new hardship in life.  He accepted every path God allowed him to walk with dignity and a determination to find a way to serve God anyway. Too bad we can’t just bottle a little of that great attitude up and

This story hits me right smack in the face this morning….for I am the ultimate whiner. Satan is calling up in my head every time I laid right down and screamed how unfair my life was. But God is bringing to my mind ….how he drew me very close to him…and helped me through some of those situations…and I can see how the pain has taught me something…how God used it for the good of more than just my life…I think I understand and can be even more like Joseph in the future.  Oh how the reflection back on the painful….seemingly unfair seasons of my life…show how much God has truly blessed me.

Father…I thank  you so much for all the times that you have used the pain in my life to teach me.  Help me to always stop when things get tough again…and seek you…and hold your hand….and let you teach me how to overcome the pain of that moment.  Use me Lord to be a great vessel…like Joseph…let my life be an example of your love and goodness.  Give me the strength and power to walk away from temptation and honor you with the right choice…even if the world tries to slander and falsely accuse me. Show me how to hold on to your hand…and be blessed in everything….and so bless the others around me. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment