Friday, June 6, 2014

Be The Lily Among The Thorns


Song Of Solomon 2:1-2 - Beloved - I am a rose of Sharon, a lily of the valleys. Lover -  Like a lily among thorns is my darling among the maidens.

 

Solomon continues his poem of love to the maiden that has caught his eye.  She is not like the other women of his huge haram….this one has stirred his heart as no other before. This one has caused his heart to leap inside him.  This one has stirred his creative spirit…enough to compose this poem.

 

Solomon speaks a truth that I sure needed to hear this morning. I feel so ordinary among the many single women that populate the Earth.  I am a common rose of Sharon …or a simple lily…a plain Jane with a few extra pounds from her love of eating and her despise of exercise.

 

Perhaps I am to be singe for a season…Paul said in 1 Corinthians 7:7…. “ Sometimes I wish everyone were single like me—a simpler life in many ways! But celibacy is not for everyone any more than marriage is. God gives the gift of the single life to some, the gift of the married life to others.”   That reminds me that is a true gift of God to be content in a life with no mate….giving yourself completely to what God has called you to do with no other distractions.

 

One thing is for sure….if and when he does bless me with another relationship …it will be like this one between Solomon and his lover.  He will see this plain Jane…55 year old battered woman with scars from divorce and the death of her second husband as a beautiful lily…that shed her thorns to keep searching for purpose in the tragedies that God allowed in her life to teach her how to be closer to him.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you have a beautiful plan for my life.  Forgive me for the pity parties I sometimes invite my own tears too…when I am feeling lonely and unloved.  Help me to find contentment in this season of singleness…and use it to help you encourage others like me who are struggling with the loss in their lives. Help me to keep searching for purpose in my pain…and turn the pain into another lesson in how to be closer to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment