Monday, June 2, 2014

Risk Isn't Risky ....If God Is by Your Side


Ecclesiastes 10: 8-10 Whoever digs a pit may fall into it; whoever breaks through a wall may be bitten by a snake.  Whoever quarries stones may be injured by them; whoever splits logs may be endangered by them.  If the ax is dull and its edge unsharpened, more strength is needed but skill will bring success.

 

Solomon reminds us in this chapter that there is an element of risk in everything we attempt to do.  Even sitting and doing nothing is risky because it leaves us with no skill at all.  Only hard work that is ordained by God will bring any sort of success.

 

I am guilty if not trying sometimes because I feel ill-equipped to do what I think he wants me to do.  I stammer like Moses and make excuses after excuses.  God just listened and let Moses vent…then he asked him what he held in his hand at that moment. The simple wooden rod he proclaimed to be nothing…became a powerful tool of authority and freedom for Moses as he realized that God would be right by his side the whole mission God was sending him on.

 

God tells us in Hebrews 13:21 that he would give us what we need to do what he calls us to do. I need to embrace that promise this morning as I end another year at my teaching job…and consider what plans he has for me this summer. I am sure I have what I need to be confident and successful if I make sure it is sharpened with prayer and the study of God’s word.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I am to be busy doing your work every day. Help me to build a confidence in you that will prevent me from shying away from a task I think I cannot do.  Give me the wisdom to see the same vision you see…so I can stay in  the center of your will for my life…and be the most effective servant I can be. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment