Monday, June 30, 2014

A Warning About Drinking


Isaiah 5:11-12 -  Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine.  They have harps and lyres at their banquets, tambourines and flutes and wine, but they have no regard for the deeds of the LORD, no respect for the work of his hands.

 

Isaiah began his message to the people reminding them of the perfect land God had given them when he brought them out of bondage.  All God had asked of them was to care for it and follow his rules…to love him more than anything else.

 

His harsh words to a people that forgot the God who saved them are as practical today.  Bar after bar closes down way past a decent hour… ‘inflamed’  people …hiding their pain in alcohol…. leaving to sleep it off till they can get more the next day.

                                                            

Some of us hide quietly with our drinks….me a few years back….…thinking I had controlled them so no one was hurt by my drinking.  But I admit that I did not know how my car got home some nights. I only thought my drinking was controlled. In reality…satan was sneaking into my life and controlling me.

 

I have chosen never to drink again. I don’t need it anymore….and have realized that I drank for the wrong reasons.  But I try not to judge all of those that choose to partake of a fermented beverage. There is a very fine line between the glass of wine at dinner…or an occasional beer after work….but I want you to ask yourself a question the next time you feel the need to pick up a beverage that contains alcohol….with the intent to relax or enjoy a great meal. Where is your focus when you desire that drink? If it revolves around your needs and wants and not God’s….then you might want to rethink that choice.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I do not need anything to relax or feel content but your love.  I thank you for opening my eyes to the dangers of drinking and helping me to stop.  I thank you for turning my mistakes into an opportunity to help others rethink their own choices.  I pray not just for me this morning…but for all of those that struggle with the desire to drink….for any reason.  Help them Lord to learn that you are all they need….and to never become the out of control people that Isaiah speaks of in this passage. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment