Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Memories....Good Or Bad...Help us Heal


Song Of Solomon 7:1-2 -  How beautiful your sandaled feet, O prince's daughter! Your graceful legs are like jewels, the work of a craftsman's hands.  Your navel is a rounded goblet that never lacks blended wine. Your waist is a mound of wheat encircled by lilies.

 

Solomon continues his vivid description of the one he loves. His language is quite erotic …describing every crevice of her body as a thing of beauty.  His excitement is matched by his lover….who wants him to visit the place where they first met….and keep the memories of their meeting fresh in his mind.

 

I will be honest and tell you that this chapter was the hardest one yet for me to read. It is both a stark reminder of what I lost when my second husband died…..and a reminder of the failure of my first marriage that ended in divorce.  I struggle to find a relevance to my current state of ‘singleness.’  I hesitated to even write this morning….asking for prayer from a friend before I even began.

 

Perhaps it is good to remember the successes and failures in our life.  They serve as both lessons of what we did wrong…so we can fix them….and pats on the back of what we did right…so we can celebrate.  As I reflect….even though my first marriage of thirty years ultimately failed…God blessed me with three great children and a grandchild….and many memories of good times shared.  And even though my second marriage was so short….It was also filled with so many good memories that will fill my heart and soul forever with a wonderful love that healed me and taught me to lean on God again for what I needed.

 

The Bible does say in Romans 8:28 …. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” That tells me that even though my memories might make me sad at times…everything that God has allowed to happen to me…good or bad….is shaping me into something that he can use to lead others to Christ.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that everything that has happened in my life has been for my good.  Help me to use my memories to be stronger and wiser.  Show me how to take the sadness that surfaces from time to time into a something that you can use to help others.  Help me to never hesitate to dig deeply into my emotions…but let you always go with me….and show me how to use them to heal the pain they have caused. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment