Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Conclusion Of The Matter.....


Ecclesiastes 12:11-13 -  The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails--given by one Shepherd.  Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them. Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.  Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.

 

Even the wise Solomon knew that he wasn’t the only person people were reading those days. His books are just a few in the whole of the Bible...and the Bible is just one book among many that have been published over the years. So his last chapter in this book tells us to be careful with any words we read outside of the words inspired by God.

 

He tells us our only duty is to fear God and keep his commandments…and that is only completed if we know those commandments fully.  He admitted that study of those rules would weary us.  He knew that we would be tempted to pull scriptures out of context to justify doing what we want. He even warned us to be careful of the many books that would be written to try and confuse us.

 

2 Timothy 2:15 tells us… “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be  ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”  That reminds me that I should not only read the Bible….but really study it….to know what it says.  I need to know it well enough that I don’t have to use google to find the reference.  I need to know it well enough that it will fill my mind with the right thing to do …every time I am faced with a decision….like it did Jesus when he was tempted in the wilderness. 

 

Father….thank you for the reminder that I need to step up my study of your word.  Forgive me for the times I have justified my short times reading you word…or the few minutes I spend writing about it each day…as enough to really know it well enough to let it rule my life.  Help me to find time to really study...to memorize…to place your word so deep within my heart and soul that nothing can ever take it away from me.  Give your word so much meaning in my life that it comes off the pages and helps me to transform who I am into a servant you can use to change others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment