Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Arise...Let God's Light Shine Through You


Isaiah 60:1-3 - "Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you.  See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the LORD rises upon you and his glory appears over you.  Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn.

 

Isaiah was technically talking about the nation of Israel. He was telling them the future…how God was coming to rule and they would be at the center of it all.  He was telling them how God was going to use them to spread his love to the whole through the Messiah.

 

Isaiah was also telling us…those who have accepted and believed on his son…and the great sacrifice he made on that cross that we need to wake up…..and realize that we already have the power of that light inside us. He was telling me to wake up and realize that God has given me this time to let his great love shine through the darkness that I see everywhere I go. He was telling me that God wants to show his glory and power through me if I will just let his glory provide the light.

 

Jesus modeled for us how to let God’s light shine through him.  People were drawn to him like they would be to God.  They followed him everywhere to hear him preach…to touch the hem of his garment….to uncover a roof so they could lower a sick friend to his reach. Lepers risked everything to ask him for healing….tax collectors climbed trees so they could see him… even the dead obeyed his voice and rose from their graves when told to do so.

 

The only people who did not run to see him and heed his word were the ones who had hardened their hearts to the truth of who he was. Even Jesus could not shine enough of God’s pure light to uncover the lies they had told their hearts for so long. Some people just love the dark more than they do the light…they have to give up too much pride or material wealth to follow him.

 

I admit that I am not always the light that I need to be to others.  I let the darkness overcome me way to many times….and hide what light I made have.  I try on my own to keep pride and selfishness under control and fail miserably. I let anger take over my emotions way too many times…and don’t spend near enough time in prayer and study of his word.

 

I needed the reminder today to stop trying to do things myself…in my own power…..and let God do what he does best. All I have to do is get up in the morning…and stay focused on him…and he will place that light inside me so strong that it will draw others to see it. I just have to let go and let God have complete control of the light switch….so he can use me to spread his light wherever I go.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that when I accepted you as my savior…I gave God permission to live inside my heart. Thank you for the light that you placed inside me that day….and help me to stop trying to control it on my own.  Help me to let the glory of your love do the work you need done with my life…without worrying so much about the outcome of all the tasks you give me to do. Help me to focus so completely on you that my light shines even when I don’t realize it.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment