Tuesday, August 19, 2014

No Excuses Anymore....God Formed You For A Purpose


Jeremiah 1:4-7 -  The word of the LORD came to me, saying, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."  "Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child."  But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you

 

It’s a new time and place….a new person…but it is the same message.  Isaiah has completed his work for God …but God’s message still needs to be delivered. So God calls Jeremiah….a servant …a prophet…who would continue the work that Isaiah started. He would speak God’s message of repentance for 40 years during Josiah’s reign.

 

In reality… God began preparing Jeremiah while he was still inside his mother’s womb.  He gave him a spirit of obedience…an ability to endure extreme hardship.  He created in Jeremiah a passion so great for God that he became one of the most successful prophets.

 

God quickly squashed Jeremiah’s excuses with a command to go where God wanted…and say what God wanted….no matter what.  Sometimes it required him to do without money and material possessions.  Sometimes he had to spend the night in prison. He was kidnapped….and even spent time in a huge deep well because he obeyed God.

 

I admit….I understand the excuse phase of Jeremiah’s calling. I have spun my own excuses many times. I am too old….and too forgetful. I lack common sense …and discernment. And that is just the biggies that I remember throwing back to God when told to do something.

 

Here’s the cool thing….God doesn’t stop trying to teach me that he will give me what I need for whatever he has ask me to do. He keeps trying to tell this old…hardheaded…stubborn…head of mine…that he already placed inside of me the skills that I need to do what he calls me to do. They will rise to the surface and just be there….when he calls me to do something for him.

 

It is my lack of confidence in myself…or perhaps a lack of faith in God that keeps me thinking of excuses…instead of just saying  okay to him. Oh that I could be half as confident of my calling as Jeremiah was…..so I can be obedient through the toughest storms and valleys.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that through you I can do all things.  You have equipped me…and you will call me to do exactly what you have already placed the skills in my being to complete that task. Forgive me for the times that I have made excuses….and walked away from you and the task you gave me.  Help me to find a new confidence in you…like Jeremiah….so I can be more obedient to the things you ask me to do.  Help me to stop making excuses….and say yes…and then pray for you to reveal the things I need to do it.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment