Friday, August 1, 2014

You Are Called To Be God's Servant


Isaiah 49: 3-5 - He said to me, "You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will display my splendor."  But I said, "I have labored to no purpose; I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing. Yet what is due me is in the LORD's hand, and my reward is with my God."  And now the LORD says-- he who formed me in the womb to be his servant to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself, for I am honored in the eyes of the LORD and my God has been my strength

 

Isaiah might be venting his own struggles as a servant of God here…or some commentaries theorize that this is one of several predictions to come of the Messiah God would send. It really doesn’t matter in my heart which is correct these days…for the Messiah has already come….and saved us all with the greatest sacrifice known of any servant of God.

 

The point to this passage for me is that God called me to be a servant too.  He called me from my mother’s womb ….gave me a name and a purpose…and waits expectantly for me to recognize what that is. It will bring honor to him…bring people to an awareness of God….and he will give me all the strength I need to do it. It might even be more than one job.

 

Some mornings I wake and think that I have accomplished nothing for God. I let the devil trick me into dwelling on the mistakes in my life that have hindered me even finding the job or jobs God planned for me. And even the few times I might have gotten God’s will correct…I still feel like a failure.  I mirror Isaiah’s words….that I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing.

 

But God said despite all that….Isaiah was honored in the eyes of God…and he would continue to be his strength. Maybe I am stretching the context here a bit…but if God called me to be his servant too…then I am honored in his eyes too….just because he loves me. Maybe what I need to do is remember when ole satan comes knocking on my heart with words of defeat….I should pull out this verse that says….I am honored…that God loved me even before I was born.

 

The honor…the praise of God…should give me enough confidence to keep going. If I stay focused on God…and quit letting satan distract me…quit letting satan tell me I am a failure….I will be able to move forward and find the next way God planned for me to be his servant. God’s Love will power me through the next job he gives me to do.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you made me to be your servant.  Forgive me for the times that I kept my focus on myself…and didn’t even attempt to find out why you called me to be your child.  Help me to stayed focused…so I can fend off the thoughts of failure and mistakes that have separated me form your will for my life. Show me the secrets and wisdom I need to do the best job I can for you….no matter what you call me to do.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment