Saturday, August 30, 2014

Boast Only In GOd


Jeremiah 9:23-25 – This is what the LORD says: "Let not the wise man gloat in his wisdom, or the mighty man in his might, or the rich man in his riches.  Let them boast in this alone: that they truly know me and understand that I am the LORD who is just and righteous, whose love is unfailing, and that I delight in these things. I, the LORD, have spoken!"  "A time is coming," says the LORD, "when I will punish all those who are circumcised in body but not in spirit –

 

Jeremiah had the frustrating job of giving God’s words to a people who were not listening.  He took his job so seriously that he cried for them…night and day because they did not take him …or the  God that they vowed to love forever….very seriously.

 

These words from God came after a long list of what life was going to be like when God grew tired of waiting on them to change. It included death…destruction of the city of Jerusalem….and captivity in a land that would not understand their religion at all. He even called for the women to begin instructions on how to mourn…so they would be ready when all the destruction began.

 

God finished his speech to the people with a warning to them…to be careful not gloat in riches…strength…or wisdom…but to put all our efforts into boasting about God. It is a warning to keep our priorities right…that if we are boasting on God…then all that we need of the other three will be given to us when God knows we need them. Then I need to learn how to ponder them in my heart like Mary did when Jesus was born.

 

Seems most mornings the words I read from his Bible hit me right in the heart. I am guilty of bragging about all but the strength. This old woman has to ask for help to do the heavy chores…and since I live alone….just has to put that pickle jar down whose lid is too tight for me to budge. Maybe I give a little credit to God….but most times maybe I should just learn to keep the good things he blesses me with to myself.

 

The bottom line is that God puts priority on the way we organize things in our heart.  Our heart should be free of any thought that I did anything good on my own….or I deserved anything good that I have been given. God wants my thoughts to be about him 24/7…. not on the list of things I still need to do because I thought that they would be good for me.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to keep my heart pure of bragging and boasting.  Forgive me for the times that I have gone on and on about something good…instead of pondering it in my heart. Help me to keep my focus on you…so that you can circumcise my spirit to be exactly what you need it to be.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment