Saturday, August 9, 2014

Don't Let Questions Of Why Rob You Of The Peace That Passes Understanding


Isaiah 57:1-2-  The righteous perish, and no one ponders it in his heart; devout men are taken away, and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil.  Those who walk uprightly enter into peace; they find rest as they lie in death.

 

Isaiah gives us just a glimpse at one reason that good people might be taken away from us…in our human perspective …way too soon. He says that one reason might be that God wants to spare them the evil that might exist around them in the future. God allows him to remind us that death brings a peace that we can never know here on earth.

 

I am guilty of asking God why he took a loved one too soon from my life. I question in my heart many times a day why he took the best gift he ever granted from me so quickly from my life. I admit that it is very hard to understand….even harder to accept that God wanted to spare Mitchell some sort of evil that was coming…but needed me to stay here longer.

 

Perhaps it is our need for human companionship…human touch…that keeps us from embracing the idea that God took someone we love…but left us here.  For me…it manifests itself in a sort of jealousy….a longing to join them….even an anticipation of when he might call me home too.

 

One side of my heart tells me it’s not time yet…that I still have work to do. I have three children and a granddaughter that still  need their mother’s/nana’s touch….financial support….prayers. The other longs for the peace that Isaiah talks about…a peace I will never feel as long as I live on earth.

 

Perhaps it is just another way that selfishness can creep up and take over your thoughts….but it is the peace of God that helps me shut out the selfish thoughts and move forward.  For if I allowed the thoughts of joining not just Mitchell…but all my family members that have been called home to heaven… to take over...it only brings pain….and depression. Perhaps it is what causes some to spiral completely into suicidal thoughts if they let it take completely over both sides of their heart.

 

Paul reminded us in Philippians 4:7 how important it is to turn all thoughts of doubt over to God in prayer ….to just let God do the thinking for us.  He said… “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

 

That’s how I get through the really bad moments….the times that I miss him the most.  I pray…and ask God to help me accept…for I know my heart will never understand completely.  I ask God to reveal a tidbit of his purpose for me…and what I need to do to complete the job he placed me here to do. I try to think about the fact that someone here on earth still needs me to do something for them…the way he did so much for those around him.

 

Father….thank you for the fresh tears that remind me how very much I loved and cherished the gift you gave me in Mitchell. Thank you for letting me hang out with him for even the short time you allowed…so that he could help me feel loved after the divorce you allowed to happen in my first marriage.  Help me to use the memories of that wonderful healing relationship to power thoughts of peace.  Help me to place all the memories and sadness in your hands so you can use it somehow to help others who have to walk the same path of pain and loss. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment