Thursday, August 7, 2014

Seek God With Prayer And Bible Study


Isaiah 55:6-9 -  Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near.  Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon.  "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.  "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

 

The chosen people of God had just come through a long hard storm. The freedom from captivity they had just received gave their soul a reason to shout and proclaim God’s goodness. God used Isaiah to remind them that this was a great time to draw as near to him as possible….because their limited human understanding of him would be heightened by the joy they felt in their souls.

 

The sadness they had just experienced put most of them in withdraw mode. It was harder to find God and his peace because depression dulled their hearing….even clouded their vision of what God could do. The fear of how long they might suffer…the constant reality of oppression had caused them to focus too heavily on the problem. 

 

God’s thoughts included a season of freedom and growth. But their own thoughts of fear and depression limited their vision of what God had in store for their future. God always has a better vision for our lives than we do….because his thoughts are higher than our own. Jeremiah 29:11 says…. “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord.  They are plans to prosper you, not to harm you.  They are plans to give you hope and a future.”

 

One of the best cures for the depression major storm in your life causes…. is to begin to thank God in advance for the storm you are going through. We need to put on our best headphones...those new kind that block out all the noise from the world telling you that you are suffering too much. We need to put on some new glasses….with a little stronger prescription than we thought we needed….so that we can look a little further than the pain we are in…to the shore on the others side that is clear and focused.

 

After we block out the world and increase our vision we need to use them to focus on God.  We need to open that Bible and pray….so that God can begin to reveal the secrets that will move us forward from the storm. We need to focus on his thoughts for us….and the future of hope that is waiting at the end of the storm he is using to teach us. Bible study and prayer are the fresh drops of rain that water our thirsty soul….and begin to grow what God wanted there all along.

 

Father… thank you for the reminder that I am nearest you when I seek you actively. Forgive me for the times that I skim and speed read your word because I am tired….or just too lazy.  Forgive me for thinking that my few prayers at church…or quick requests before I lay my head down at night are enough to feed my soul. Help me…not just say it this time Lord. For you know how many times I have asked you to help me to better my prayer life with you.  Give me a new passion to really learn to pray…to let you give me the words that will increase my faith and ability to lift others up to you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment