Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Greatest Shepherds Understand Sacrifice


Isaiah 53:4-6 -  Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted.  But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.  We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

                                                                                                                          

Isaiah foretold the coming of the Messiah. He would be born to save the world from all sin….a servant so focused on his father that he would be able to take on the sin of every man and woman ever to be born. The Google said this prophecy was given some 750 years before it came to pass.

 

God’s plan sure was harsh on his only son…but brought to everyone else mercy…grace…and healing. His undeserved punishment brought the possibility of peace and healing to all who believe. The messiah was the greatest shepherd who ever lived…gathering the many sheep who have gone astray…into a destructive selfishness.  His sacrifice took the sin of the world on his own shoulders…and gave all who will believe in him a new chance at life.

 

2 Corinthians 5:21  says….. “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.”  That tells me that this sacrifice that he made for me by giving of his perfect son gives allows me to use his sacrifice to strip away the sin in my own life…and use his righteousness to make me some new clothes.

 

My new clothes are not outward physical garments…but inward dressings of the heart and soul and mind. His righteousness can clothe me with a peace that passes all understanding.  His righteousness can clothe me with complete healing. His righteousness can break every chain that binds me to this world. His righteousness can give me a power that satan can’t destroy.

 

There is one catch to this amazing power to transform us. We have to have just enough faith to accept it as real…and believe on this mind-blowing son Jesus. We have to give him all our heart to live in… a small corner won’t give him enough room to totally transform us.

 

Father…. Thank you for giving you son to die for my sins.  My brain just marvels at the sacrifice he made for me…for all of my family…for all of my friends…and for all the people in the world I have yet to meet.  My simple thank you pales in comparison to the gift he has given us all. Forgive me for not having the faith at times to give him my whole heart…for keeping pieces that I thought I needed…but instead they just built selfishness where you were trying to build love. Help me to find that faith…even as small as a mustard seed…that will help me stay focused the way Jesus did. Open up my ears to hear your will…my eyes to see the work you placed me here to do…and your wisdom to know how to go about it. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment