Monday, August 18, 2014

God Loves And Gives Power To The Humble heart


Isaiah 66:1-2 -  This is what the LORD says: "Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where is the house you will build for me? Where will my resting place be?  Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?" declares the LORD. "This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.

 

Isaiah’s last chapter tells us one more time just how important it is to search for God…to provide for him a place to rest.  God could care less about the grandeur of the spot we pick….he is more concerned about the attitude with which we pick it.  God created the world…the grandest mountain…and the lowliest single grain of dirt. Man couldn’t possibly build anything grand enough for God’ glory…so he wants us to purify the heart within us….so he can see our humility.

 

Throughout history God has picked the lowliest of people to be his greatest servants.  He chose Noah….to build a boat so mankind could survive the destruction of the earth by flood.   He chose the youngest son of Jesse…the simple shepherd boy David…to become a king with a heart like God. He chose the murderer Saul….and changed his named to Paul after he cleaned out the confusion in his heart.

 

One thing that really speaks to my heart is that he loved these people completely….never leaving them even when they messed up. He used their humility to convict them of their sin…so he could clean them up again…and use them to do even greater work than before. 

 

God even loved us so much that he sent his only son to die for our sins and provide all of us a way to meet him. He son was so humble that he was able to walk for 33 years on this earth with no mistakes. The key to his power is recorded in Philippians 2:5-8…. “In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus….. “ Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!”

 

It’s not a complicated thing…it’s a simple thing. Seek humility…and find God.  Accept humility…and believe in God.   Maintain humility…and God can live inside me and give me the power to do everything he asks me to do. 

 

I am beginning to understand Paul’s writing’s more and more these days….especially the ones that talk about how he was nothing. He boasted only in his weaknesses….so that God would be able to give him the power to accomplish the hard work he was given to do. He maintained humility…and even accepted a ‘thorn in his flesh’…that tormented him… but also helped to keep pride from erasing the concept of humility from his heart.

 

Father…thank you for allowing someone to record Isaiah’s great words in the Bible.  Thank you for using him to help remind me of my need to be humble.  Forgive me for taking so long to agree with Paul…and start to understand the power that humility can give me to love myself…so I can love others like you do.  Help me to keep purging the things out of my life that cause pride to seep in…and ruin the progress I am making being your servant.  Show me how to truly be content in all things…no matter what.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment