Sunday, August 3, 2014

Why Do We Fear Man More Than God?


Isaiah 51:12:13 -  "I, even I, am he who comforts you. Who are you that you fear mortal men, the sons of men, who are but grass,  that you forget the LORD your Maker, who stretched out the heavens and laid the foundations of the earth, that you live in constant terror every day because of the wrath of the oppressor, who is bent on destruction? For where is the wrath of the oppressor?

 

Isaiah told them to listen to God’s words 3 times. He wanted all who sought God…all who wanted right to prevail….all who knew right from wrong….to listen to God’s plea to follow his laws and commands. He told them to wake up…to clothe themselves with God’s strength…so he could fill them with an everlasting joy.

 

After he had all their attention…he asked them a very important question.  He asked the people why they feared man more than God?  It’s a fair question…and one we still struggle with today….cause if we truly feared God the most…the threat of an Ebola outbreak in the US wouldn’t bother us.  The possibility of a major economic depression would not give us cause to worry. Obama-care wouldn’t even scare us.

 

These things would pale in comparison to spreading the love of God around to everyone we could.  We would be saddened by the loss of lives that did not know Christ…but those who truly sought God….followed all his commands…trying to do right in evry choice we make….would have a joy planted in our hearts that no man-made calamity could remove. 

 

We would know the peace that surpasses all understanding that Paul talks about in Philippians 4:6-7.   It says…. “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  That peace is greater than any fear satan can throw at us here on earth...it can calm and comfort us no matter what life throws at us.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that I need fear no thing here on earth …..save losing my relationship with you. Forgive me for all the times I have let things worry me…and keep me from being focused on helping you develop relationships with all the lost in the world. Show me how to hold on to that peace of God…24/7….and feel the joy and comes when I let you guard my heart and my mind.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment