Thursday, July 31, 2014

Believe The Whole Bible....And Follow It Completely


Isaiah 48:9-11 - For my own name's sake I delay my wrath; for the sake of my praise I hold it back from you, so as not to cut you off.  See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.  For my own sake, for my own sake, I do this. How can I let myself be defamed? I will not yield my glory to another.

 

It was Isaiah’s sole job to deliver God’s exact words to the people. He relayed the words of God’s hope….comfort….and this time anger and disappointment….to a people that God had planned so much more.  All God really wanted was for them to love him more than anything else…trust him…and keep the promises they made to him. But they fell so short of God’s goal for them.

 

They became comfortable in the wealth of their city….and built false confidence in the blood lines of the Jewish nation.  They let the fortified city they lived in become their salvation…thinking falsely that its tall walls could protect them from anything. So God allowed the refining fires of oppression teach them that he was their salvation…not the material things around them.

 

It’s a concept that satan uses to his advantage. He tricks us into thinking that because we are good…because God is blessing us with good things…that we are centered in God’s will. But the good things we surround ourselves with give us a false sense of security…and allow our hearts to relax its dependence on God. We begin to love things… instead of the promise we made to God to love him with all our heart and soul and mind.

 

God doesn’t save us because we are good...he saves us simply to show his love to us. God’s greatest desire is to build a relationship with us…that includes prayer and Bible study. He wants us to seek him with all our heart and souls and strength…so that we will have the confidence of Moses…or David….or Abraham…to walk the path he has planned for us.

 

We know when we have found his will.  Isaiah tells us in verse 18….it says…. “If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea.” That peace like a gentle river comes only when we have fixed our eyes… ears… and heart on God…and given him our full attention. …truly grasping the commands he gave us…not trying to rationalize and justify away the ones we don’t like.

 

Maybe that’s what John was talking about in Revelation 3:16.  It says… “So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth.” We can’t have our cake and eat it too.  We either believe the whole Bible….and follow it completely…or we don’t believe it at all. God doesn’t want part time…or pick and choose Christians.  We do more harm to his kingdom than good when we ride the fence.

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to build a relationship with you that stokes my heart to its hottest degree.  Forgive me for riding the fence so many years….and wearing a mask of hypocrisy that hid my many faults.  Help me to identify the many ways satan has tricked me into thinking that having a good nature and doing kind deeds will make me a better Christian.  Help me listen better …and follow all your commands so I can feel the peace of that gentle riven flowing through my life and decisions.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment