Monday, July 21, 2014

Thank God For The Good....AND The Bad


Isaiah 25:1-2 -  O LORD, I will honor and praise your name, for you are my God. You do such wonderful things! You planned them long ago, and now you have accomplished them.  You turn mighty cities into heaps of ruins. Cities with strong walls are turned to rubble. Beautiful palaces in distant lands disappear and will never be rebuilt.

 

Isaiah started this chapter with a shout out to the God that had done so much for him and the people he was directed to foretell the future too. He didn’t just praise God for the good…He thanked God for the mighty cities that had been turned to rubble.  He thanked God for fulfilling the horrible fates he had to predict to others.

 

It must have felt odd to him to thank God for destruction.  It must have broken his heart to utter praise for the lost lives and devastation God had brought in that time. I empathize with him in this because I remember how very hard it was to thank God for the divorce….and how much harder it was to thank God for taking my second husband Mitchell so soon after we were married.

 

I realized…after I had taken the time to thank him…how much closer it drew me to God.  He used the brokenness and emptiness I felt in that moment to reveal a ton of sin in my own life. And when I cried out to God in my complete devastation from losing Mitchell… I crawled right up in God’s lap.  He used that broken moment to help me­ realize that I had built a wall of pride and selfishness around my heart. It was then that God really showed me how he should be number one…and that I don’t need human love to be happy. It opened the world of writing to my soul…and showed me one of the tasks he has given me….a way for me to learn and study his word…and share his truth with others at the same time.

 

Thank you God for every good and perfect thing in my life.  Thank you for every tragedy as well. Thank you for using these times of sorrow to reveal the blessing behind the loss. Forgive me for ever thinking that I could be anything on my own.  Thank you for breaking me…and emptying me of the mess I was in.  Help me to grow closer to you every moment of every day.  Use me Lord to help others see the purpose in the pain they may be feeling and thank you for it so they can feel the greatness of your comfort and love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment