Monday, July 21, 2014

Trust In God Enough To Ask For His Help


Isaiah 30:1-2 - "Destruction is certain for my rebellious children," says the LORD. "You make plans that are contrary to my will. You weave a web of plans that are not from my Spirit, thus piling up your sins.  For without consulting me, you have gone down to Egypt to find help. You have put your trust in Pharaoh for his protection.

 

Isaiah was never afraid to tell the people like it was. God told him what to say…and he said it...exactly the way God wanted it said. This time it was a message to the rebellious people who had made plans that did not include God. They had put their trust in everyone but God and woven a web of sin that disgusted God.

 

Reminds me of those lies I used to tell when I was younger…. You know the cover up lies you hd to tell to cover up the first lie you told.  Pretty soon you had told your third or fourth...and dug a hole so big you needed help to get out of the hole. In fact…one of the hardest lessons I ever learned because of  lie happen when I was just in second grade.

 

The short version involves blowing a bubble…with that old style bubble gum…. so big it popped on my face…made a huge black mark around my mouth…that stayed there till I got home.  I simply lied and told my mom the teacher taped my mouth shut. That was easier than getting in trouble for having gum at school…right…wrong.  The web of lies I told prompted my mom to go talk to the teacher…and she convinced my mom not to tell me the truth…that I had been caught.  No…my mom asked me every day for two weeks if I had been good…if the teacher had taped my mouth again.  And yes…it worked…I finally broke and told on myself….and oddly enough…that was my punishment.

 

The sins we commit are just like that if left in rebellion.  We keep making more plans without God and end up in a huge mess. And if we leave our souls in rebellion too long…we will destroy ourselves. God sure doesn’t want that for us…so he made a way for us to repent of all that rebellion.  To ask his forgiveness…to begin to consult with him about what we should do…and when we should do it.

 

What’s really cool is that God lets the mess we got into….be our punishment…and then he even gives us a huge leg up out of the hole we dug ourselves into.  He just wants our full attention….so we will always ask him what to do.

 

Father…thank  you for the reminder that rebellion is not a good thing.  Forgive me for the times that I have let rebellion steer me far away from your will.  Help me to always keep my heart focused on you so that I will remember that you know the best way for me to handle everything. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment