Monday, July 28, 2014

What Has God 'Anointed' You To Do?


Isaiah 45:1-3 -  This is what the LORD says to Cyrus, his anointed one, whose right hand he will empower. Before him, mighty kings will be paralyzed with fear. Their fortress gates will be opened, never again to shut against him.  This is what the LORD says: "I will go before you, Cyrus, and level the mountains. I will smash down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron.  And I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness -- secret riches. I will do this so you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, the one who calls you by name."

 

Isaiah was used this time to tell a gentile king named Cyrus that he was anointed by God. God told him he was going to give him great strength….and reveal vast treasures within the earth for him to keep. God said he was going to use him to crush the kings that threatened to completely overcome his people.

                                                                                                                                                                                 

That is proof to me that God can use anybody he chooses to do his work. God can embed anyone… anywhere…with the power they need to do what God needs them to do. Isaiah used the word ‘anointed’ when he spoke of Cyrus’ power.  Jesus told us in Acts 1:8 that anyone who believe n him would receive all the power we need when we let the Holy Spirit he sent consume us.  

 

He gave Moses …in Exodus 2…what he needed to do his work in the form of a simple shepherd’s rod.  It was even passed to Aaron when Moses had completed his part of the task. He used it to show God’s power to pharaoh…then he used it to remind the people he had been sent to lead that God had a plan…even if it did not fit the scenario they had imagined in their heads.

 

We just have to ask ourselves what God has placed in our hand to use for him.  It might be the ability to remember huge quantities of knowledge and discover the cures of diseases like cancer that take life after life. It might be a computer...and a simple way with words….that God can help you type insights to his word each morning.  It might be a classroom full of excited …or not so excited students…that God has placed in your keeping for one period of time to be the one light they see in a world not so bright around them each day.  It might even be that minimum wage job he has given you for a season… so he can use you to model contentment in him ….no matter where he has placed you for the moment.

 

It is a reminder to me that I have more than one thing placed in my hand. My day may begin with sharing insights to his word on a blog…but for at least one more year…I have also been given the privilege of touching lives in a school classroom each day. Sundays…he uses the voice he blessed me with to sing praises and help others worship…and on Wednesday nights…I am used to teach English as a second language to some sweet Japanese ladies. Even as I list these 4 jobs…I am sure I could list more…given a bit more time to reflect.

Father….thank you for reminding me that you use the ‘rod’ you placed in my hands to do so many things.  Forgive me for not realizing each morning the importance of each of my jobs. Help me to embrace all of them in a new and passionate way….so satan cannot trick me into slacking.  Open my ears…and eyes to all the new ways you want you use me in the future.  Uncover the secrets and treasures that you have waiting for me…if I am obedient in following what you have given me to do.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment