Thursday, July 10, 2014

God's Plan Might Include Some Waiting


Isaiah 14:26-27 -I have a plan for the whole earth, for my mighty power reaches throughout the world.  The LORD Almighty has spoken -- who can change his plans? When his hand moves, who can stop him?"

 

Isaiah was revealing the plan of God to save them from the surrounding kings.  They were being oppressed and beaten from all around…but they would have to wait a bit longer for God’s plan to be completed. It would be around 200 years….at least two generations of wait time for them.

 

I understand the frustration they must have had.  Waiting is one of the things I do the worst. I can set myself up for something…and just about bust while I am waiting for it to happen.  Three cars ahead of e in the drive through…I will just go inside.  Three people in front of me in a checkout lane…I am the one asking if they can open another register.

 

This passage reminds me that waiting must be a part of God’s plan. It teaches us patience.  It humbles us.   It curbs the impulse to buy things when we first see it….and helps us remember to involve God in our decisions and choices.

 

I admit that knowing some of the positives reasons to wait doesn’t help us wait any less impatiently. But it does help us understand why God doesn’t just reveal his plan for us the day we were born.  He created us with free choice…and wants us to want what he wants.  Not because he says that is what should happen…but because we love him so much that we understand that his way is the best way…because we trust him even when it seems waiting will make our lives even harder to bear.

 

The world will tempt us to be impatient and be poor ‘waiters’ as long as God’s plan gives us time on the earth.  That is satan trying to tempt us like he did Jesus. In that story…Jesus fought him off with three carefully said scriptures. They helped him defeat satan in those 30 days of his wilderness wanderings and gave him the strength and courage to realize his true purpose would bring a choice of life to all…even though it would be a painful experience for him.

 

Father….thank you for the reminder that waiting is a part of your plan.  Forgive me for letting satan trick me into thinking that I deserved anything different. Help me to be more focused…and learn the scriptures I need to face satan and send him packing from my life.  Hold me in your lap and whisper your plan to me…and give me the strength and courage to complete it.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment