Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Time Is Not A Renewable Resource


Isaiah 17:10-11  -  Why? Because you have turned from the God who can save you -- the Rock who can hide you. You may plant the finest imported grapevines,  and they may grow so well that they blossom on the very morning you plant them, but you will never pick any grapes from them. Your only harvest will be a load of grief and incurable pain.

 

Isaiah had been given a word for the city of Damascus. He was going to put an end to the worship of idols there….by destroying the city…and leaving very few people there.  Every effort they made to sustain themselves would come to nothing. The gods they worshiped could not save them from God’s wrath.

 

They would realize he was right…and begin to change.  The gods and idols they worshiped would be put away. They would begin to worship God again…and see their folly…but it would be too late. The seeds of corruption satan had planted among them had to be purged from within…and would leave the few that were left in great poverty. …full of grief…. daily remembering their pain.

 

God will only put up with so much.  One day it will be too late to accept his love and feel the comfort and warmth that he gives us when we turn from sin and ask him to cleanse our heart form all the things that separate us from his love.  One of D L Moody’s sermons titled , “Tomorrow May be Too Late,” mentioned his confidence that the people swirling in waters around the ark that Noah built surely called out to God to save them….but his answer was no.  And the people of Sodom surely called out for God’s help as they saw their city burning with fire…but God only saved the few in Lots family.

 

The key is to turn and repent ….to come to God with all your heart and soul. He wants a full commitment to him….changing the things we do…doesn’t necessarily mean we believe it completely in our heart to be the only way. I admit that I am guilty…of doing something God’s way….but not fully accepting in my heart the task…of being mad with God because I wanted something else so badly. I am also sure that I will be judged for that someday after reading this passage in Isaiah.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that time is not a renewable resource.  Forgive me for the times that I have questioned your plan for me…and thank you for loving me through my bitterness and questions of why? Help me to keep drawing closer to you and remove even more of the idols that keep me clinging to pieces of the world.  Show me how to give my heart and soul completely over to you…so I can complete the work that you placed me here to do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment