Saturday, July 26, 2014

He Chose Us...Named Us...And Planned Good Things For Us


Isaiah 43:1-2 -  But now, O Israel, the LORD who created you says: "Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine.  When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.

 

Isaiah throws the word ‘but’ in his opening sentence so we are sure to see the comparison to many of the harsh words God gave him to speak before these sentences.  Chapter after chapter… Isaiah was given harsh words ….words that told the people what would happen if they kept going in the wrong direction. “But”  ….God gave Isaiah sweet loving words to start this chapter….words that reminded his people of his gentle mercy …his love …his protection.

 

It reminds me that we simply cannot lose if we pick God to be on our team.  He has already chosen us. He even knew our name even before our parents picked it out for us. As long as I keep my eyes…my ears…my heart...completely focused on him …nothing can destroy me. There will never be a ‘bad thing’ in my life completely consume me if I trust this promise of God. He will hold my hand through anything he asks me to endure…he will equip me with all I need to stand in victory over everything I think is bad in my life.

 

The reason he does that for us is recorded just a bit further in verse 18…you read that even though God had done great miracles in their life…he had even more planned in the future. That tells me that God is not through with me if he woke me up this morning.  He has work for me do…and miracles to perform that are so great and mighty my eyes and ears and heart will be humbled and amazed.

 

Jeremiah 29:11 gives us the same promise.  It says… “For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”  Sin might have separated me from God for a time…but God doesn’t want it to end that way…he wants me to wake every morning….tell him I am sorry for any sin that has distanced our relationship…and reclaim the promise of his mercy and love so we can see the new miracles he has planned for our good.

 

 

Thank you father for reminding me that I can never lose you.  Thank you for choosing me…giving me a special name…and a special purpose.  Thank you for walking through the valleys of sadness with me…and helping me to recognize the sin that kept me from seeing you in all your glory.  Forgive me for all the years that I sat in ignorance and let bitterness blind me even more.  Help me to keep your name so embedded in my heart that you don’t have to work so hard to keep me focused. Let my love and passion to serve you grow and give me stronger faith and trust in the good future you have planned for me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment