Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Get Serious About Prayer


Isaiah 37:1-2 - When King Hezekiah heard their report, he tore his clothes and put on sackcloth and went into the Temple of the LORD to pray. And he sent Eliakim the palace administrator, Shebna the court secretary, and the leading priests, all dressed in sackcloth, to the prophet Isaiah son of Amoz.

 

 

Hezekiah knew how to handle a problem.  When he heard a report from his high officials that sounded really bad…he immediately went into fasting and prayer mode. Then he sent for the best preacher he knew to seek advice…Isaiah.

 

 

Prayer was taken very seriously back then.  You tore your robe…no matter what brand name or how much it cost.  You put on sackcloth…a scratchy material that also encased food for animals…and you fell to your knees.  If it was really serious…you went to the temple…to be sure you were close enough to God for him to hear you cry out. There was none of that silent prayer stuff….or whispering a short request for help driving down the road.  If you were serious…then everyone around you knew you were serious.

 

 

It had more than one purpose. Rendering yourself in that scratchy garb showed your humility.  It showed God you knew who was in charge…and you were not above letting anyone who saw you know that too. It also focused your heart and mind on the need you were praying for.  Everything around you was less important than the need you brought to God’s attention.

 

 

I admit…I am one of those that has never tried to be this serious about a need. I have never humbled myself so much that I tore my clothes...or dressed in a more simple way to show I was praying really hard for something. Perhaps some attempts were made when I wore a black ribbon to show I was praying for the family and friends of someone who died.  And that pink ribbon I wore for a while to remember to pray for someone with cancer a while back. I have fasted something for the last 4 years…to ask God to save a couple of students I know are lost.  But all of those seem now to be very weak attempts at what Isaiah describes in Hezekiah.

 

 

Bottom line for me…I do not spend enough time in prayer period…let alone on my knees in fervent…focused….God I need this in the worst way prayer. So I guess the lesson is to think of ways I can go to the next level.  Just this last Sunday…with tearful eyes…I admitted to some of my dearest friends I had not taken their prayer requests serious enough. So I started a new prayer journal…and will start anew...and try to get more serious about my prayer time. Baby steps that God can broaden and make more mature the more I stay focused on him.

 

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I really need to get this prayer stuff where you have always wanted it.  Thanks for not giving up on me…and chasing after me with one more reminder to keep working on getting it right.  Forgive me….and help me to really take this prayer stuff seriously.  Show me how to lose the inhibitions that keep me off my knees unless I am at your altar in a church.  Show me how to take that altar with me everywhere I go. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment