Sunday, July 6, 2014

Beware Of Boasting....Especially if You take All The Credit Yourself


Isaiah 10:12-13 -  After the Lord has used the king of Assyria to accomplish his purposes in Jerusalem, he will turn against the king of Assyria and punish him -- for he is proud and arrogant.  He boasts, "By my own power and wisdom I have won these wars. By my own strength I have captured many lands, destroyed their kings, and carried off their treasures.

 

God gave Isaiah the harsh message of destruction for Jerusalem. He was going to use the king of Assyria to punish them for their evil…unjust ways. Then he was going to destroy Assyria too…for boasting and bragging that they destroyed Jerusalem in their own strength.

 

God hates a braggart…especially when they are bragging that they did anything in their own strength.  The boasting is a sure sign that you don’t have God in your heart….for anyone who loves God knows instinctively that anything they accomplish comes from him. 

 

Each time I sit down at this computer to write the insights I hear rumbling around in this old brain….I can’t help but praise God for the miracle of any words from my hand explaining anything in his word correctly.  The vision of my first grade on a college paper is burned in my heart…and F+.  The failing grade the measure of my ability to write…the  ‘+’ a way of the teacher motivating me to not give up.

 

I admit freely that I have gotten…too big for my britches…..many times since that day.  God has to remind me …often…to keep the truth in my heart that he gives me the power to write anything. I look into the air around me every morning and breathe out a call for God to help me understand and write something that will help me apply his truth to my life. And I haven’t been disappointed yet.

 

Father…Thank you for the reminder that you are behind the many successes I have felt in my life.  Never let me forget that my strength to accomplish what you have called me to do comes from you.  Forgive me for the times that I have let my ears and heart be distracted form your will…and made a mess with something because I tried to do it in my own power. Never let me forget that you will help me to do anything that is a part of your will.  Infuse me with boldness and courage to keep writing the insights you give me down in a form that others can read.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment